Birgit Prinz, Renata Lingor and Steffi Jones. That Frankfurt was strong and it was more if I played at home. It was in 2001. Levante, as a representative of Spanish football, premiered the UEFA Women's Cup, the Champions League that the highest European body had just created. He had to face the German champion, the Codru Chisinau of Moldova and the College Sports Clubs of Armenia, in a format that distributed the teams in 8 groups of four. Only the first one went through, who was already in the round of qualifying rounds in the quarterfinals. Levante scorched the two weakest rivals, including a spectacular 17-0 at the College, but he did it knowing that defeat in the first day against Frankfurt (1-0) left him without options. The Germans had been too rival for Levante, the team that sent to the Spanish league at the beginning of the century.
The same feeling of being still far away was the following course with Arsenal as the coconut of the group. In his next experience, during the 2008/09 academic year, the German Duisburg and the Danish Brondby were the ones who stopped the Valencian set on the European path. The grandmother's success had been to overcome the first round, with Sparta from Prague as the strongest rival, but in the second phase he fell defeated.
That UEFA Women's Cup a decade ago had once again revised the competition format and already allowed 7 series caps to automatically overtake the first round. The Frankfurts, Arsenals or Duisburgs could be avoided at the beginning of the change. This was the fate of Athletic and Espanyol, the other representatives of the League that in the following seasons competed in Europe. The periquito case was sounded, too. Espanyol from Santi Fernández got rid of the French Juvisy for 1-0 in Edinburgh (where he also beat the other two rivals, the Scottish Hibernian and Kí of the Faroe Islands), and played the second round in Norway , where he ran into the local Kolbotn and the powerful Swedish Umea, one of the first champions of the European competition. It was in 2006 and the forces were still not in line with the Nordic countries, where the Brazilian star Marta Viera stands out. "We just had 20 minutes of rhythm, after which the game went a long way", remembered Marta Torrejón, debuting in that edition as white-and-blue.
The European history of the Spanish representatives at the beginning was also written by Athletic Club with five stakes (2003/04, 2004/05, 2005/06, 2007/08 and 2016/17) and Rayo Vallecano with three (2009 / 10, 2010/11 and 2011/12). The then celebrations were markers like 2-2 of the Basques against Arsenal – that finished semifinalist in that one edition – or to surpass the first rounds if the adversaries were not of the strong countries. That you touch a Russian, an English or a German practically left you at the start of the first change.
He passed Barça in his first two appearances: eliminated by Arsenal (2012/13), Wolfsburg (2013/14) and Bristol Academy (2014/15). Also Atletico Madrid, already in the current Championship format, with direct access to sixteenths of the final and with two representatives of the Iberdrola League to the European bosses, paid the patent to strike with Lyon and Wolfsburg in the ' continental release This year, however, has shown that the forces have been equally loaded by sixteen at Manchester City. "We were lucky that the draw allowed us to be playing more and more parties and to take filming in Champions", admits the ARA Vicky Losada. An indispensable requirement to stop being new and start being candidates for the latest rounds. The final of this Saturday in Budapest is nothing more than the confirmation of this growth of Spanish football in Europe.
The chronology of Spanish participants in Europe
UEFA Women's Cup format
They play two previous rounds in group format, passes the first one in four. Then they play eliminatory from the quarterfinals.
- 2001/02: Levant. It is not classified, there is second behind Frankfurt.
- 2002/03: Levant. It is not classified, there is second behind Arsenal.
- 2003/04: Athletic. It is not classified, there is second behind Frankfurt.
- 2004/05: Athletic. It exceeds the first round. In the second phase he ties two against Arsenal, but loses against the Swedish Djurgardens IF. It remains third and does not go round.
- 2005/06: Athletic. It is not classified, it remains second behind the Dutch Saestum.
- 2006/07: Spanish. It exceeds the first round. In the second phase he loses against the Norwegian Kolbotn and the Swedish Umea. It remains third and it is not classified.
- 2007/08: Athletic. It is not classified, there is second behind the Italian Bardolino.
- 2008/09: Lift. It surpasses the first round, but it is third in the second phase, behind the German Duisburg and the Danish Brondby, and it is not classified.
The format is modified in 2009/10. Some powerful league representatives save the previous round. The Spanish champion accesses directly to 1/32 of the end, and the operation is by eliminatory one in double match.
- 2009/10: Rayo Vallecano. It is eliminated by Russian Rossiyanka.
- 2010/11: Rayo Vallecano. He exceeds the Icelandic value but falls, at sixteenth of the final, to Arsenal.
- 2011/12: Rayo Vallecano. He has to play pre-round and beat it. In the first round, he defeated Finnish PK-35 Vantaa but returns to Arsenal for sixteen. Is deleted
- 2012/13: Barça. He made his debut with Arsenal and eliminated by a 7-0 overall.
- 2013/14: Barça. He surpasses two rounds against the Danish Brondby and Swiss Zurich, but loses quarterfinals to Wolfsburg.
- 2014/15: Barça. He passed the first round but lost against the English Bristol Academy in eighth.
Two Spanish representatives
Spanish football has enough points in the UEFA Cup and the organization rewards the League with the possibility of sending two Spanish representatives to the Champions League. They are already joining directly to the sixteenths of the final.
- 2015/16: Barça. It falls into the quarterfinals with the PSG.
- 2015/16: Atlético de Madrid. He goes back to sixteen in front of the Russian Zorsky but falls into eighth in front of Lyon.
- 2016/17: Barça. He arrives at the first semifinal, which again loses against Paris Saint-Germain.
- 2016/17: Athletic Club. I lost the extra time against the Danish Hjorring Fortune and is eliminated at sixteen.
- 2017/18: Barça. He surpasses the first rounds, but falls into the Lyon quarter and is eliminated.
- 2017/18: Atlético de Madrid. He tosses Manchester City to sixteen but returns to meet Wolfsburg at eighth, and is eliminated.
- 2018/19: Barça. Will play his first Champions final.
- 2018/19: Atlético de Madrid. He tosses Manchester City to sixteen but returns to meet Wolfsburg at eighth, and is eliminated.
. (tagsToTranslate) Barça (t) Guardiola (t) match (t) football (t) first division (t) league BBVA (t) minority sports (t) female sport (t) athlete (t) Olympic Games