archyworldys

After a flood disaster: the federal government decides to provide emergency aid

Status: 07/21/2021 1:30 p.m.

The federal government has approved emergency aid for the flood areas. Finance Minister Scholz announced that 200 million euros would initially be made available from the federal budget. 200 million euros are also to flow from the federal states.

Less than a week after the devastating heavy rain in western Germany, the federal government decided to provide emergency aid for the flood areas. This was announced by Federal Finance Minister Olaf Scholz after the relevant cabinet decision in Berlin.

A total of up to 400 million euros would therefore be available. According to the decision, the federal government will contribute half of the aid from the federal states with up to 200 million euros. The money is to be used to repair the worst damage to buildings and communal infrastructure and to bridge special emergencies. “That is the sum that we are now starting from,” said Scholz.

Federal government decides on emergency aid for disaster areas in the amount of 400 million euros

Kerstin Palzer, ARD Berlin, daily news 8 p.m., July 21, 2021

If more is needed, the federal and state governments would also make more money available, said the finance minister. “We will do what is required.” The help should flow quickly and unbureaucratically. “Everyone can rely on it now.” The catastrophe brought great destruction.

Payment initially without a needs test

This does not affect the funds required by the federal government to rebuild the destroyed infrastructure, Scholz said. The emergency aid is about quick support for those directly affected. He stressed that the disaster was a consequence of climate change. The resulting burdens should not now be placed on individual people.

Federal Interior Minister Horst Seehofer emphasized that the funds should be paid out unbureaucratically and initially without needs assessments. The countries should take over the organization. “It’s about support for people who have lost all their belongings,” said Seehofer.

Both ministers also made it clear that the affected municipalities would not be billed for federal aid during the disaster.

Manuela Klein, SWR, currently Erftstadt, on the use of the emergency aid that has been decided

tagesschau24 4:00 p.m., July 21, 2021

Suspension of the obligation to file for bankruptcy

The state financial aid is also to be flanked by a targeted suspension of the obligation to file for insolvency. In addition, the federal government is proposing talks with the federal states about a security system “for this, but also for future supraregional damage events of considerable extent”, as stated in the cabinet proposal.

A construction fund worth billions is also planned. According to Scholz, the hardship fund resolved in the Corona crisis could be expanded for companies affected by the flood disaster. That is the discussion that is currently being held.

According to earlier statements, the fund has a volume of 1.5 billion euros. The federal government provides the federal states with one-time funding of 750 million euros, the federal states contribute the same amount. The hardship aid is intended to give the federal states the opportunity, on the basis of individual assessments, to support companies that need such support at the discretion of the federal states.

“It won’t fail because of money”

Federal Minister of Economics Peter Altmaier had previously given hope for fast and extensive flood aid. The CDU politician said that Deutschlandfunk: “We will make it clear today that it will not fail because of the money.” The cabinet passed the resolution today, “so the authorities of the federal states, the municipal authorities, the districts and also the state authorities know that they can pay out this emergency aid.”

With a view to private individuals “who have lost everything”, Altmaier said: “Only the local administration can really assess that precisely because we do not need precise funding guidelines at the moment, but first of all we have to be helped unbureaucratically Roof over their heads, people need to be certain that they can afford clothes again, that the children can go to school. ”

3500 euros in emergency aid from the Mainz state government

FDP leader Christian Lindner called the planned emergency aid “appropriate and correct”. At the same time, Lindner spoke in the ARD morning magazine for a long-term development fund. “We have prepared a draft law that we will introduce for a construction fund. It is based on the construction aid law of 2013. I think that is wise advice that we should orientate ourselves on the methods of flood relief 2013.” People quickly expected effective help. “The orientation of a previously successful measure could be helpful.”

The Mainz state government recently decided to provide emergency aid of up to 3500 euros per household for those affected by the disaster in Rhineland-Palatinate. The state chancellery announced that the money should be paid out via the district administrations as quickly as possible without a means test. In addition, more than 6.2 million euros in private donations were received on the state government’s donation account. The money is to be distributed through district administrations.

Federal government decides on emergency aid for flood areas

Christopher Jähnert, ARD Berlin, July 21, 2021 12:03 p.m.

Trending