“We are entering a difficult phase in which we must all make concessions for the sake of the country,” Al-Burhan said in statements he made during a Ramadan breakfast, referring to the deteriorating economic and security situation in the country.
“We are ready to offer what we can to prepare the atmosphere for dialogue,” he added.
The military council took action on October 25, ending a two-year power-sharing arrangement with a civilian political coalition after Omar al-Bashir was ousted.
Since then, at least 94 people have been killed during street protests in Sudanese cities, and dozens have been arrested.
Al-Burhan said that despite the absence of “political detainees,” he met with the attorney general and the head of the judiciary to discuss speeding up the release of detainees, including prominent civilian political leaders.
He added that they also discussed the possibility of reducing the current state of emergency.
Al-Burhan said that these steps came in the context of concessions made by some political groups to reach an agreement.
Reuters reported earlier this month that there is an agreement under study, submitted by several parties, to form a new government.
Al-Burhan had previously said that the army would only hand over power to an elected government. He called on the political parties again in Friday’s remarks to reach a consensus.
In his statements, Al-Burhan said that unlike in the past, no single group should dominate the political scene. Al-Burhan also stated that judicial orders that led to the return of dozens of civil servants associated with the Bashir regime will be reviewed.