An electric meter fitted with a Linky box, installed outside a Châlette-sur-Loing butchery in the Loiret, caught fire a month after a similar incident in the same city. Contacted by AFP, the duty manager of Enedis, the company responsible for setting up the meter, denied any involvement of Linky in the fire. The meter fire occurred on Friday at noon, according to firefighters and the police, confirming information from Central Republic.
This is the second time in less than a month that a Linky counter has caught fire in this city of nearly 13,000 inhabitants. "The source of the fire would be accidental," said a police source on Saturday. The owner of the premises of the "Boucherie du Center" announced his intention to file a complaint against Enedis. His new meter was installed three months ago, in his absence. Videos made by witnesses show the smoking counter. We see the fire begin with a crackling, then a black smoke and finally flames.
A meter had exploded in the same town a few weeks ago. On October 13, in the same town, a counter installed in a pavilion for fifteen days had "exploded", in the words of its owner. The pavilion had been badly damaged and its two inhabitants, a retired couple, evacuated. "An electric meter can not explode or catch fire spontaneously," said the group Enedis, adding that "to date, there is no element to determine the origin of the fire."
Eleven million households equipped. A duty officer at Enedis Center-Val de Loire said he was waiting for the results of the survey. "The meters have been tested in the laboratory and they do not explode, there is no effect of breath", argued this framework, stating that only "2% of fires of electrical origin in France are due counting tables, a figure that has not changed for years. " Installed at the rate of 30,000 per day, green anise counters now equip 11 million households. The legislator requires Enedis, a subsidiary of EDF, to cover the territory, ie some 35 million meters by 2021. To date, 91,000 Linky meters have been installed in Loiret.