Have you bought the new Apple Watch 7 and are wondering how you can switch to the new model without losing data? NextPit will help you! The procedure is simple as is typical for Apple, but you should pay attention to a few details.
The Apple Watch 7 (test) has been available since October 15 at a price from 429 euros. If you want to upgrade from an older model to the new version, you first have to back up the device’s data and then disconnect the iPhone. We explain the process to you.
Of course, you can also use these instructions if you have bought an older model and want to switch from an even older model. Because although the Series 7 brings some improvements compared to the Series 6, not much has changed in the connection to the iPhone.
Before you start making the change, you should make sure that you meet the following requirements:
- Apple ID and password
- Both the new and the old Apple Watch must be connected to WiFi
- Both Apple Watch and iPhone must be charged to at least 50%
- The passcode of your Apple Watch
Method 1: using the old Apple Watch backup
We’ll start by backing up the old model’s data. When you have finished setting up the new Apple Watch, your information will then be imported directly by retrieving the backup data.
It is practical that the data backup of the Apple Watch takes place automatically on the paired iPhone. So you don’t have to do anything to create a backup of the smartwatch. However, Apple writes on a support page that “if [Ihr] sets up an Apple Watch for a family member who does not have an iPhone, the watch’s data is backed up directly to iCloud “.
Note: According to Apple, the following are some of the elements not in Apple Watch-Backups enthalten:
- Bluetooth pairing data
- Credit or debit card information used for Apple Pay
- Apple Watch Passwort
Now follow the step-by-step instructions below to pair your new Apple Watch:
- Opens the Watch-App on the iPhone to start the pairing process. The good news is that you can add the new Apple Watch model before removing the old one:
- Alle Watches > Add watch
- Switch on your new Apple Watch and follow the instructions on the Smartwatch screen
- When prompted, choose to restore the new Apple Watch from a backup and choose the most recent backup
- If you can’t find the backup data, continue with the next method
Method 2: forcing an Apple Watch backup to install
If you can’t pair the new Apple Watch Series 7 using the method described above, the solution is to create a backup of the old Apple Watch. This is necessary if the backup of your data is not available on your iPhone via iCloud or Mac / PC.
Apple suggests that you follow the instructions below to do this:
- Hold the paired Apple Watch close to your iPhone
- Opens the Watch-App on the iPhone
- Tap on the option Alle Watches at the top left of the screen and then click the “i“on the right side of the dial
- Tap on ” Apple Watch decouple“. Important: During the decoupling process, your Apple Watch creates a new backup copy of the iPhone
- Follow the instructions to unpair the current watch
- Opens the Watch-App on iPhone to start pairing your new watch
- Switch on your new Apple Watch and look for the pairing code, follow the instructions on the screen.
- If you are prompted to do so, choose to restore the last backup version of your previous Apple Watch.
Completed! After you have chosen the method that is most suitable for you, your new Apple Watch model will be connected to the iPhone and you can use all the functions offered by Apple.
How does it look: Do you use an Apple Watch and could we help you with these instructions?