This Monday, November 28, the 2021 Ballon d’Or awards will be held. The award returns after a 2020 where it was suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The election is fought and in this note you will meet the favorites of the gala. Journalists, technicians and captains from all over the world have a difficult time voting. Every detail could be decisive.
Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are no longer the ‘only’ candidates to win the award. Now there are other footballers who broke it throughout the year and who would have a good chance of winning the Ballon d’Or 2021. It will depend on what the majority vote. This could be from a movie.
The Polish striker was able to win the 2020 Ballon d’Or, but the pandemic prevented it. He had scored 41 goals in 29 league games with Bayern Munich and his name rang out loud at the award ceremony. But in the end he only won the Golden Boot. This 2021 could be his year in Paris, since at the moment he has 12 goals in 10 games.
Probably the most complete player in recent seasons, especially after the departure of Cristiano Ronaldo from Real Madrid. The Frenchman scores and assists on all the playing fields. He returned to his national team and lifted the UEFA Nations League. Of course, he could not win the Eurocup.
He is the top winner of the Ballon d’Or with 6 awards. He cannot be left out of the favorites despite the fact that he only lifted the Copa del Rey 2021 with Barcelona. La ‘Pulga’ won the Copa América in Brazil a few months ago, where he scored 4 goals. With PSG he has not yet shown his best level, the one we all know.
The Italian midfielder is the only footballer on this list to have won the Champions League and the European Championship. While he is not a great scorer or assister, his name is something to be reckoned with. It is difficult, but not impossible.
Kanté is by far the most beloved player by football lovers. His sacrifice in the field and his humility as a person, place him as an option for this award. He was the best player in the last edition of the Champions League. Sure appears in the ideal eleven of 2021 along with other stars.
PLAYERS NOT TO DISCARD
Cristiano Ronaldo: 5-time Ballon d’Or winner. His scoring ability remains intractable.
Erling Haaland: In the previous campaign he scored 41 goals in 41 games. Its future is promising.
Kylian Mbappé: It is no longer a promise. He won the UEFA Nations League and dazzles with his game.
Mohamed Salah: His present is good: he has 10 goals and 10 assists in 10 Premier League games. In the current Champions League he already has 7 goals.
CANDIDATES FOR THE GOLDEN BALL 2021
– César Azpilicueta (Chelsea, Spain)
– Nicolò Barella (Inter, Italy)
– Karim Benzema (Real Madrid, Francia)
– Leonardo Bonucci (Juventus, Italy)
– Giorgio Chiellini (Juventus, Italy)
– Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United, Portugal)
– Kevin De Bruyne (Manchester City, Belgium)
– Rúben Dias (Manchester City, Portugal)
– Gianluigi Donnarumma (Paris Saint-Germain, Italy)
– Bruno Fernandes (Manchester United, Portugal)
– Phil Foden (Manchester City, England)
– Erling Haaland (Dortmund, Norway)
– Jorginho (Chelsea, Italy)
– Harry Kane (Tottenham, England)
– N’Golo Kanté (Chelsea, France)
– Simon Kjaer (Milan, Dinamarca)
– Lautaro Martínez (Inter, Argentina)
– Robert Lewandowski (Bayern, Polonia)
– Romelu Lukaku (Chelsea, Bélgica)
– Riyad Mahrez (Manchester City, Argelia)
– Kylian Mbappé (Paris Saint-Germain, Francia)
– Lionel Messi (Paris Saint-Germain, Argentina)
– Luka Modric (Real Madrid, Croatia)
– Gerard Moreno (Villarreal, Spain)
– Mason Mount (Chelsea, Inglaterra)
– Neymar (Paris Saint-Germain, Brazil)
– Pedri (Barcelona, Spain)
– Mohamed Salah (Liverpool, Egypt)
– Raheem Sterling (Manchester City, Inglaterra)
– Luis Suárez (Atlético, Uruguay)
LAST 10 GOLDEN BALL WINNERS
– 2020 / Not delivered
– 2019 / Lionel Messi (Barcelona, Argentina).
– 2018 / Luka Modric (Real Madrid, Croacia).
– 2017 / Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, Portugal).
– 2016 / Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, Portugal).
– 2015 / Lionel Messi (Barcelona, Argentina).
– 2014 / Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, Portugal).
– 2013 / Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, Portugal).
– 2012 / Lionel Messi (Barcelona, Argentina).
– 2011 / Lionel Messi (Barcelona, Argentina).
– 2010 / Lionel Messi (Barcelona, Argentina).
PLAYERS WHO WON THE GOLDEN BALL MOST TIMES
1. Lionel Messi (6 awards)
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (5 awards)
3. Michel Platini (3 awards)
3. Johan Cruyff (3 awards)
3. Marco van Basten (3 awards)