Botswana. Hundreds of elephants died in mysterious circumstances

| |

“We have received a report on the deaths of 356 elephants in the northern Okavango Delta, and so far we have confirmed the deaths of 275 pachyderms Said Botswana Director of National Parks and Wildlife, Cyril Taolo.

“The cause of death is being determined. We have sent samples to South Africa, Zimbabwe and Canada for analysis ”, he added.

“Anthrax (or anthrax) is excluded. We do not suspect poachers either since the animals were found with their defenses ”, he said again.

Living elephants found weak, lethargic and disoriented

According to a report by the non-governmental organization Elephants Without Borders (EWB) dated June 19, 2020 and transmitted to the press Wednesday 1is July 356 elephants were found dead in the Okavango Delta.

It is estimated that the death of about 70% of them goes back “At around a month, while the death of the remaining 30% seems more recent, between one day and two weeks”, according to the director of the NGO Michael Chase, author of the report.

Living elephants have been observed to be very weak, lethargic, and some disoriented and having difficulty moving, he said, adding that males and females of all ages appeared to be affected. “Mysterious disease”.

“We observed an elephant turning in circles and unable to change direction despite the encouragement of the other members of the troop”, he said again.

Botswana is home to around 130,000 roaming elephants

The Ministry of Tourism said in late May that it was investigating the mysterious death of a dozen elephants in the Okavango Delta.

Caught between Zambia, Namibia and South Africa, Botswana is home to around 130,000 free-ranging elephants, one third of their known African population.

In 2018, EWB created the controversy by claiming to have identified 90 pachyderm carcasses, a situation described at the time by Michael Chase as the “Worst episode of poaching in Africa” of which he was informed.

The Botswana government strongly denied these figures, claiming that the NGO had actually counted only 53 elephant carcasses, the majority of which were dead. “Of natural cause or of conflicts between man and fauna”.

.

Previous

Sergio Berni, criticized by the “Chinese” Navarro: “I …

Airbus CEO Guillaume Faury: “We proceeded moderately with the job cuts”

Next

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.