Wednesday July 21, 2021 by Julie Bouchard
After the announcement last week of the full-time recruitment of Austin Cindric by Team Penske to take the helm of the Ford No.2 next year in the NASCAR Cup series, it is team president Roush Fenway Racing, Steve Newmark, who confirmed yesterday at the NASCAR Hall of Fame that Brad Keselowski will join his team for the 2022 season, driving the Ford No.6 in addition to taking a minority stake in the organization, also from 2022.
Keselowski will leave the Penske team, for whom he has been a NASCAR Cup Series driver since 2010 and has amassed 34 of his 35 Cup victories so far, in addition to the series championship title in 2012. The native of Rochester Hills, Michigan, will remain in the Ford camp, however, as both Roush Fenway and Penske use Ford Mustangs in the NASCAR Cup and Xfinity series.
Roush Fenway Racing is currently fielding the No.6 Ford for Ryan Newman and the No.17 for Chris Buescher. Keselowski will therefore replace Newman next year, in addition to assuming a role in the sports management of the team. “I am delighted to finally be able to share this news with the fans and the industry of NASCAR. This represents a great opportunity to continue my career with a strong team and a long-term commitment, but also to immerse myself in my passion for being a team property, ”said Brad Keselowski. “I can be an asset to the future of the team and I am optimistic about what Jack (Roush), John (Henry) and I can accomplish together, especially with the new era that begins this year. next with the arrival of the new generation car (Next Gen). Our goal is to win races and compete for championships at the highest level of NASCAR, and we plan to make it happen, ”he added.
Jack Roush, who was inducted into the NASCAR Hall of Fame in 2019 and is now 79 years old, has owned a NASCAR Cup team since 1988 that has achieved 137 victories at this level and two titles so far, along with Matt Kenseth (2003) and Kurt Busch (2004). Roush also led his team to five titles in the Xfinity Series and one in the Camping World Truck Championship.
The organization was first known as Roush Racing. Majority owner of the Red Sox, John Henry, became an investor in the team in 2007, and the name was then changed to Roush Fenway Racing. “I am really excited about this partnership with Brad,” said Jack Roush. “I think this will bring a lot to our organization, not only in terms of Brad’s ability at the wheel, but it also marks a rejuvenation and new perspectives in the management of our team. I have had the opportunity to watch Brad evolve for a number of years, as he fought and rose through the ranks of the NASCAR series, becoming a champion and one of the best drivers in our sport. I have always admired his determination and I am very happy that he chose to join our team and I am proud to partner with him for the future ”concluded Jack Roush.
Since 2011, Brad Keselowski has qualified for the NASCAR Cup Series season-ending playoffs 10 out of 11 times. The 37-year-old driver currently sits ninth in the Cup Series standings. He won one race this season, at Talladega – his sixth in his career there (photo above) -, seven Top 5 and 9 Top 10.
From 2008 to 2015, he also led the Brad Keselowski Racing team in the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series. Austin Cindric, Tyler Reddick, Chase Briscoe and Ryan Blaney, all drivers today in the NASCAR Cup, have driven for this team. Brad Keselowski Racing had won 11 races in the series, including one for Keselowski himself, as owner-driver in 2014 at Bristol Motor Speedway.