Breaking! US-China Will Meet, Any Surprise?

Jakarta, CNBC Indonesia – Senior officials from the United States (US) and China are said to be reviewing the implementation of the Phase I trade agreement that has been made by the two countries. Reuters quoted the Wall Street Journal as saying, the two sides will hold a conference via video this August 15.

The main negotiators, namely the US Trade Representative, Robert Lighthizer and Chinese Deputy Prime Minister Liu He will participate. This will be the first six-month review of the pact since February 15.

Unfortunately the Office of the US Trade Representative and the US Treasury has not commented on this.

Previously in the Phase I agreement, China had promised to increase purchases of US goods by around US $ 200 billion above the realization in 2017. Including agricultural products, manufacturing, energy and services.

But unfortunately China is said to have not realized this according to the targets made. Imports of agricultural goods were even lower than 2017, even 50% lower than the target.

Beijing also only buys 5% of US energy products. Even though the target in this phase is US $ 25.3 billion.

According to sources familiar with this, China wants to hold talks to discuss other issues. He mentioned matters outside the implementation of Phase I trade peace.

“This is a normal semi-annual review and also comes at a time when relations continue to deteriorate. Of course there is a lot to talk about,” the person said, quoted Wednesday (5/8/2020).

Meanwhile, China’s Ambassador to the US Cui Tiankai said the Phase I evaluation plan was always there. Because the two parties are in regular contact about the trade agreement.

“If they have a meeting like that, I think it will be very positive,” said Cui.

Previously, US President Donald Trump had often threatened to end trade pacts. He repeatedly said he was reluctant to discuss this matter again with China.

US-China relations have indeed been heating up again since the corona pandemic emerged in Wuhan. Trump said China was committing disinformation.

Currently the US is the country with the most Covid-19 cases in the world. In addition to Covid-19, Trump is also targeting TikTok and will ban the application if it is not sold to non-Chinese buyers.

[Gambas:Video CNBC]

(Head / head)


.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.