BEIJING (AP) – The city of Wuhan, which is already beaten by the virus, has already prevented most vehicles from being used in the town center and Hong Kong said it would close schools on for two weeks as the authorities went to snow to spread more than 1,200 people and killed 41.
Hong Kong’s leader, Carrie Lam, said his government would increase its response in the event of an emergency, the highest, and close primary and secondary schools for another two weeks on top of the Lunar New Year holiday next week. They will re-open on 17 February.
Lam said that flights and direct trains from Wuhan would be blocked. The outbreak began in the middle of China and is spread throughout the country and abroad, which has attracted millions of people during the country’s biggest holiday.
In a sign of the increasing pressure on Wuhan’s healthcare system, Xinhua news agency reported that the city planned to build a second hospital with approximately 1,000 beds. The city has previously announced that a similar hospital building is underway and is expected to be completed on 3 February.
The vast majority of infections and deaths are all in mainland China, but new cases are emerging. Australia and Malaysia reported their first Saturday and Japan cases, the third. France confirmed three Friday cases, the first in Europe, and the United States recognized the second, a woman in Chicago who returned from China.
The new virus comes from a large family called coronaviruses, which is not getting worse than cold. It creates cold-and-flu symptoms, including cough and fever and, in the case of more severe, breathlessness. Pneumonia can deteriorate, which can be fatal.
Most of the Chinese provinces and cities of public health Level 1 alert, the highest in a four-tier system, acted the daily newspaper owned by China reported Saturday.
China cut trains, airplanes and other links to Wuhan on Wednesday, as well as public transport within the city, and steadily extended to 16 surrounding cities with a combined population of more than 50 million, London, Paris and Moscow together .
Yichang, Suizhou and Jingzhou cities were the latest to be added to the list on Friday and Saturday evenings.
Wuhan went one step further Saturday, announcing the use of vehicles including private cars would be banned in middle areas starting after midnight, state media reported. Only authorized vehicles would be permitted to carry supplies and other requirements thereafter, the reports said.
The city containing 11 million people will assign 6,000 taxes to different neighborhoods, under the management of local residents committees, to help people turn around if they need, China’s China newspaper, Daily Daily said.
In Hong Kong, where five cases of illness were declared, a marathon was expected to attract 70,000 participants on February 9, the South China Morning Post newspaper.
China’s largest holiday, the Lunar New Year, opened Saturday in the shadow of the new virus was worried. Lunar New Year events were canceled by host authorities and closed major tourist sites and film theaters.
The National Health Commission reported a jump in the number of infected people to 1,287. The latest scores, from 29 provinces and cities across China, included 237 patients in a serious condition. Of the 41 deaths, 39 were in the province of Hubei, where Wuhan is the capital, and one in Hebei and Heilongjiang provinces.
Most fatalities are older patients, although a 36-year-old man in Hubei died earlier this week.
Health authorities in Hechi city in Guangxi said that a 2-year-old girl from Wuhan was diagnosed with the illness after her arrival into the city.
The Australian state of Australia announced its first case on Saturday, a Chinese man in his 50s who returned from China last week, and confirmed the situation in New South Wales three more days later in the day.
Malaysia said that three positive tests were carried out by Fridays, all relatives of a father and a son from Wuhan who were diagnosed under the earlier virus in Singapore nearby. Japan confirmed the third case, a Chinese tourist in his 30s came from Wuhan on January 18.
The National Health Commission said that medical staff from outside Hubei are helping to deal with the outbreak, a day after online video shows they showed that there were whites in masks taking exams and complaints that family members had gone away. hospitals were unable to.
Chinese military launched 450 medical staff, some of whom have experienced past outbreaks, including SARS and Ebola, who arrived in Wuhan on a late Friday night to help treat the patients who were hospital with viral pneumonia, Xinhua.
Xinhua also said that medical supplies are being driven to the city, including 14,000 protective suits and 110,000 pairs of gloves from the core medical reserves as well as masks and goggles.
The rapid increase in reported deaths and illnesses does not necessarily mean that the crisis is getting worse, but it could better monitor and report on the newly discovered virus.
It is unclear how lethal the new coronary virus is, or even if it is as dangerous as ordinary flu, which kills thousands of people every year in the United States.
The U. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said that more Americans are expected to diagnose the virus.
The damper outbreak of Lunar New Year in China, the first day of the Year’s Rat.
Temples called their doors, Beijing Prohibited City, Shanghai Disneyland barracks and other major tourist destinations, and canceled restaurant reservations before the holiday, usually when family reunions, sightseeing tours and other festivals in the country reached 1.4 billion people. .
“We originally planned to go back to my wife’s hometown and bought train tickets to depart this evening,” said Li Mengbin, who was strolling at the Forbidden City closed moat. “We put an end to cancellation. But I’m still happy to celebrate the new year in Beijing, which I haven’t been for several years. ”
A related researcher Henry Hou and video journalist Dake Kang contributed to this report.