It is unlikely that the US government will be able to merge all underage immigrants who were forcibly separated from their families at the Mexican-American border, according to a statement by the American Civil Liberties Union on Tuesday after a court rendezvous later this Sunday.
"It is extremely disappointing that the Trump government does not even bring half of the children under the age of five with their parents," said Lee Learned, deputy director of the ACLU Immigration Rights Project. "These kids have suffered so much because of this policy and every extra day contributes to the pain."
An ACLU lawsuit won an injunction dated June 26, leading to the court-ordered demand for the reunification of children under 5 years old by July 10, and all families by July 26.
The government has asked a judge to extend the deadlines on Friday. The judge did not grant extensions and said he wanted a list of children on Saturday that the government believes could not be reunited in time with the families, and the reasons for it. The list of 102 names was shared with the ACLU.
The ACLU said the government "provided incomplete information by the end of Saturday night" and issued revised details on Sunday.
The court will meet again on Monday.
Health Minister Alex Azar said last week that out of more than 11,800 children held by HHS in orphanages, fewer than 3,000 are separated from their parents. The rest are unaccompanied minors. He said about 100 of the separated children are 5 or younger.