Special envoy to Ciudad Nuclear
It all started in 1976 in the greatest secrecy. That year, Leonid Brezhnev met one of his ally Fidel Castro’s most astonishing demands: to build nuclear power plants on the communist island for it to gain energy independence. The atomic dream of Lider Maximo was to lead to the construction of three nuclear power plants with four reactors of 440 megawatts each, and dispersed in various regions of the island.
The fall of the USSR marked the end of the program in 1992. But not Cuban nuclear remains, very present near Cienfuegos, a city of 160,000 inhabitants, founded by Bordeaux residents in 1819.
Here is the nuclear city, built on the Chernobyl model
It is this place that the Commander in Jefe chose in 1980 to build 25 km from the city the CEN, the Electro Nuclear Power Station, of Juragua. To get there from Cienfuegos, you have to sail on an old boat to Castillo de Jagua, an imposing fortress built in the middle of the 18th century.e century,