(Montreal) Two young women from Montreal on vacation in Florida have unfortunately suffered a sad fate as they are among the victims of the collapsed building in Surfside.
International business consulting firm Accenture, which has an office in Montreal, said in a statement Tuesday that it was mourning the loss of an employee, Michelle Pazos, and her father.
The 23-year-old was visiting her father who owned a condo in the Surfside building. She was accompanied for this trip by her friend Anastasia Gromova, who remains nowhere to be found.
Miami-Dade police authorities have confirmed that they found Michelle Pazos’ body in the rubble of the building on July 9. The day before, we had also recovered that of his 55-year-old father, Miguel Pazos.
Anastasia Gromova’s mother, Larysa Gromova, confirmed in a written message that her daughter is among four Canadian citizens missing following the collapse of the condominium building.
According to information provided by local authorities, at least 97 people died in the June 24 tragedy. As of Monday, 95 victims had been identified.
According to Michelle Pazos’ online profile, on the LinkedIn platform, she studied marketing management at McGill University before starting her career at Accenture in Montreal.
“We are deeply saddened by the loss of Michelle and her father, our thoughts are with all those affected by this tragedy,” the firm commented by email.
Following the collapse, Anastasia Gromova’s mother flew to Florida. She described the expectation for responses as “terrible” and “painful”.
“It’s too hard, it takes too long,” said M.me Gromova to The Associated Press Monday.
She said her daughter took a vacation to visit the Pazos in Florida before flying to Japan, where she was to go teach English.
“She was leaving for two weeks vacation. She was very young. She had her whole life ahead of her, she said. It’s such a sudden event, there are so many buildings in Miami and it had to be where she was for a week. ”
Global Affairs Canada has confirmed that the remains of three Canadian citizens were found in the rubble of the building and that a fourth person cannot be found. The names of the victims were not released by the ministry, but it is said that consular assistance was offered to accompany the families.
A first Canadian victim had been identified by the Miami-Dade authorities, a 66-year-old ex-Montrealer named Ingrid “Itty” Ainsworth.
She and her Australian-born husband named Tzvi had briefly lived in Canada before settling in Australia, then Florida. The couple had seven children and they were celebrating the birth of two grandchildren according to what their niece Chana Harrel shared.
With the Associated Press