College Rower dies of a rare infection 2 weeks after a sore throat, which she thought would be tonsillitis

College Rower dies of a rare infection 2 weeks after a sore throat, which she thought would be tonsillitis

Fort Morgan, Colo. A student from Kansas State University, who thought she had a sore throat, suddenly died from a dangerous infection, according to the KDVR.

Samantha Scott of Fort Morgan, Colorado, began to feel sick, but it was initially believed that the tonsillitis was to blame.

Two weeks later she was dead.

Her family says she has contracted Lemierre syndrome, a bacterial infection begins in the neck and spreads through the lymphatic vessels. Symptoms may be sore throat and fever, followed by swelling of the internal jugular vein.

Lemierre syndrome is a fast-acting bacterium that can quickly take over a person's body if not treated quickly. While it may be deadly, it is also rare. According to the National Institutes of Health, doctors diagnose only 3.6 cases per million people each year.

Scott rowed for Kansas State and her trainer Patrick Sweeney said he would remember her as a great leader and great person.

"She was so beloved by all her teammates that she had a great impact on our program both on and off the water," Sweeney said in a statement. "We are all still in shock and will continue to keep their family in our thoughts and prayers."

Scott's lifelong friend, Kennidi Cobbley, told KDVR: "It could cheer you up if you had a bad day, if you just practice it was like being with your family and being with someone who is always optimistic and happy. "

A GoFundMe site has been set up to assist Scott's family with medical bills and funeral expenses. They're hoping for a scholarship in Scott's name.

40.250258
-103.799951

,

Leave a comment

Send a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.