“The Bachelor” star Colton Underwood (29) made fans gasp when he appeared as a gay man on “Good Morning America” in April.
– I have escaped from myself for a very long time. I found out about this earlier this year and have processed it for myself, and the next step in all of this is to tell people, Underwood said in the interview, reproduced by Page Six.
The former “Bachelor” further said that he understood that he was “different” already when he was six years old, and explained that he was now happier and healthier than he has ever been.
The road there has not been easy, and he said that he was in a “dark and bad” place in the time before he realized that he was gay.
Was pressured to stand up
Now, one month later, Underwood reveals that he did not come out of the closet voluntarily. He claims that he was forced due to extortion.
In a recent interview with Variety, the star says that an anonymous stalker had taken nude photos of him at a spa for gays in secret. The person in question is said to have threatened to expose him, according to Underwood.
The anonymous e-mail frightened the 29-year-old, and he turned to his publicist.
– I knew that of everyone in this world, my publicist would not ruin for me, he says to the trade magazine, and continues:
– At one point, during one of my heaviest moments, I was blackmailed. Nobody knows that I was pressured, he shares.
It all resulted in the decision to stand out as gay in front of the whole world.
Underwood reports that he received the threatening email after being at the club, which he claims he visited out of curiosity.
– I should never have been there, he shoots in.
Sorry for the ex
There were several who got excited when Underwood was chosen as the 23rd “Bachelor” in 2019. Cassie Randolph (26) was among those who fought for his heart in the program.
They found the tone during the recording, and the “The Bachelor” star even chose to cancel the recording before the planned end to show his love for Randolph.
However, it did not go smoothly. When Underwood declared his love for the 26-year-old and sent the two remaining participants home, he was dumped by Randolph. She was not ready for a possible engagement at the time.
Afterwards, they still found the tone, and became a couple. However, the relationship was not to last. In May last year, there was an end once and for all between Underwood and Randolph. This was confirmed by Underwood himself on Instagram.
“Sometimes you just have to be friends, and that’s fine. We have both grown so much and been through so much together, so this is not the end of our story, it is the start of a new chapter for us “, he wrote at the time.
In the interview with “Good Morning America”, the “The Bachelor” star wanted to apologize to her ex-boyfriend.
– I want to apologize for how things turned out in the end. I messed it up. I made a number of bad choices, he said.
The 29-year-old still admitted that he loved Randolph, which made it all the more difficult and confusing for him to find out about his own sexuality.