IThe corona virus has been detected in France. It is the first European country in which the lung disease has been reported. French health minister Agnès Buzyn confirmed two cases on Friday evening. A third case came to light late Friday evening. The government would do everything possible, the Buzyn said, to curb the spread of the pathogen. “This is a fire that must be stopped.” One of the patients comes from Bordeaux. The second infected person is from Paris. According to information from the French television broadcaster “BFMTV”, a relative of the infected person in Paris was also infected. All three patients were in isolation.
The person from Bordeaux who was infected by the virus was a 48-year-old French man of Chinese origin who had entered China from the Netherlands, the French newspaper Le Monde reported. He was also in Wuhan and complained of symptoms since Thursday. According to the French Minister of Health, he has been in contact with about ten people since he arrived in France.
Around 900 infected
Minister Buzyn also said it was likely that more cases of infected people would appear in Europe. “For travelers returning from China, it is important not to go to the emergency room at the slightest sign, but to call the emergency number so that people can be picked up at home and taken to the hospital,” said Buzyn.
The first cases of the disease had already occurred in the Chinese city of Wuhan in December. In China, the number of detected infections in the country is now around 900 according to the authorities. More than 25 of the patients have died, mostly older people with previous illnesses. Evidence has also been reported from other Asian countries such as Thailand, Singapore and Taiwan.
As of Friday, two cases had been confirmed in the United States – one in Seattle and one in Chicago. America announced on Friday that it would withdraw its consulate general’s staff and their families from Wuhan. The order came because of the spread of the new corona virus, logistical problems from limited transportation, and the “overwhelmed hospitals” of the city, a spokesman for the embassy said.
American President Donald Trump also spoke on Twitter after the first cases in Europe became known. On behalf of the American people, he thanked China’s President Xi for his efforts to contain the virus: “China has worked very hard to contain the corona virus. The United States values the effort and the transparency very much. “He is confident:” Everything will develop well. “
In China, the freedom of movement of people was severely restricted on Friday in more than ten cities in the severely affected Hubei province with a total of more than 40 million inhabitants. Local and long-distance traffic were stopped, arterial roads blocked. Protective masks should also be worn in public.