Coronavirus scare on the Jetstar flight from Melbourne to Hobart

| |

Health authorities are evaluating a man who became ill on a Jetstar flight from Melbourne to Hobart amid fears of coronavirus.

The plane was locked on the asphalt at Hobart Airport for several hours on Friday afternoon while health authorities examined the man.

The deadly coronavirus is not very suspicious, but he has been taken to the Royal Hobart Hospital for evaluation.

More tests will be done if necessary, the state health department said.

The man had recently traveled to China, but it is understood that he was not in Wuhan, where the virus outbreak originated, or in the wider province of Hubei.

Tasmanian public health director Mark Veitch apologized to the passengers for the delay “but we are aware of the need to take the necessary and appropriate precautions given the current situation,” he said in a statement. The health services have taken the details of the passengers to follow up if necessary.

Two more people have been tested in Tasmania to detect coronaviruses and both were authorized.

It occurs when the Transportation Workers Union called for the suspension of all direct flights from China due to the outbreak.

The call came on Friday when Qantas employees were threatened with disciplinary measures if they refused to work on flights from China due to concerns about the potentially deadly virus.

The disease has killed 213 people in China and infected more than 9800 worldwide, and the World Health Organization declared a public health emergency.

The virus has spread to at least 18 countries, including Australia, which has nine confirmed cases and more are expected.

Last week, China stopped flights from Wuhan, the epicenter of the virus, but the TWU now wants Morrison to intervene and restrict all incoming flights from China.

The national secretary of the union, Michael Kaine, says that there is a high level of uncertainty about the virus and that the “precautionary principle” should be applied.

“There has been a shortage of information from this federal government to airports and airlines about what they should do precisely,” he told reporters in Sydney on Friday.

“There is one thing we can do and one step we could take and we should take and is to cut the flights from the source of the virus.”

“We should take the initiative here and stop flights to Australia from China at this time.”

Airlines around the world have stopped flights from mainland China, including American Airlines and British Airways, Kaine said.

The union has written to airports, airlines and the federal government about the matter.

But Australian medical director Brendan Murphy says that banning direct flights from China is not recommended as a public health measure.

“The World Health Organization strongly recommends that nations do not prohibit flights from China because, unless blocking the exit of the country, banning direct flights does not prevent people from coming from China,” Professor Murphy told reporters. in Canberra.

“They could come from all kinds of ports and at least we know who comes from China and we can meet and take very intense border measures for those flights.”

.

Previous

Tesla reveals model 3 deliveries by region

Paighton Houston died of accidental drug overdose: toxicology

Next

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.