A small number of MPs will be back in Ottawa today, the day after provincial governments in Ontario and Quebec issued orders to close non-essential businesses to slow the spread of the novel corona virus.
MEPs are returning to vote on measures to spend billions on help for families and businesses struggling to cope with the outbreak of the corona virus in the economy.
Cases of COVID-19 have been reported in people in all provinces and territories except Nunavut. Ontario and Quebec, together with B.C. most cases reported to date.
The message from cities and provinces – staying at home, keeping a safe distance from others and avoiding groups – also comes directly from the Prime Minister.
On Monday, Justin Trudeau asked people to “go home and stay at home”.
“This is what we all need to do, and we will make sure that it happens, either by educating people about the risks or by enforcing the rules if necessary,” Trudeau said at his daily meeting. “Nothing that can help is off the table.”
The Federal Government has so far refused to rely on the emergency law, which temporarily gives it the power to restrict travel, for example, and to impose fines if people fail to comply with the law. However, at least one prime minister, Blaine Higgs of New Brunswick, said a federal emergency statement would allow a more unified national response.
Not long after Trudeau spoke on Monday, Ontario Prime Minister Doug Ford announced that all non-essential businesses and businesses in Canada’s most populous province would be ordered to close for 14 days.
“This decision was not made lightly, and I am aware of the severity of this order,” said Ford.
Quebec took a similar step and decided to stop all but essential services. The province was practically “on hold until April 13,” Prime Minister François Legault said when he announced the latest measures.
The coronavirus pandemic infected over 382,000 people and killed over 16,500 people worldwide. COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, causes mild or moderate symptoms in most people – but serious symptoms are more likely in older people or people with existing health problems. So far, more than 101,000 people have recovered, mainly in China.
On Tuesday, after more than a week in which China said the vast majority of new virus cases were imported from abroad, authorities said the restrictions would end in Hubei. People released by the health authorities could leave the province after midnight. The city of Wuhan itself remains closed until April 8th.
Read on to see what’s happening in Canada’s provinces and territories, the U.S., and around the world.
Here’s what happens in the provinces and territories
In British Columbia, the Prime Minister announced a $ 5 billion coronavirus relief plan. The plan, which Treasury Secretary Carole James described as a “first step but a critical step”, involves funding people whose livelihood has been affected by the effects of the corona virus and companies. Read more about what’s in B.C.
Alberta’s best public health official says that her team is closely monitoring the community transmission and says, “This is our biggest concern.” Dr. Deena Hinshaw said measures were already in place to deal with returning travelers, a message Prime Minister Jason Kenney repeated on Monday when he urged people returning from the United States to take self-isolation seriously, saying that this was not a “vague.” general advice or suggestion “. “Read more about what’s happening in Alberta.
Saskatchewan’s chief medical health officer is excited about social distancing that could help smooth the curve. Dr. Saqib Shahab also noted that the province is “at a critical juncture, as most cases are still either traveling or related [past] Major events. “Read more about what’s happening in Saskatchewan.
In Manitoba, officials say people who arrive in the province should isolate themselves for 14 days – even if their trip has been within Canada. There are a few exceptions, including truckers and people who live on one side of a provincial border and work on the other. Dr. Provincial Chief Public Health Officer Brent Roussin said Monday, “I want to make it clear that this is not just a suggestion.” Read more about what’s happening in Manitoba.
Ontario Prime Minister Doug Ford orders the closure of all nonessential companies, but says people can still buy food, medicine, and other essentials. “Every Ontarian must do his part. If you can, please stay at home and only go if necessary,” said the Prime Minister. Read more about what’s happening in Ontario.
Quebec decided to close non-essential companies as concerns about the transmission of COVID-19 by the community increased. Prime Minister François Legault said on Monday that people would still be able to source essential supplies. “It is also time for the government to act decisively. We have to pause Quebec by Easter.” Read more about what’s happening in Quebec.
New Brunswick’s Prime Minister wants a national approach to stop COVID-19. Prime Minister Blaine Higgs said he endorsed the prime minister, who relied on the emergency law, and said this would unify the approach to dealing with the growing outbreak. Read more about what’s happening in NB.
Children in Nova Scotia are unlikely to be back in class in early April, the provincial chief health official says. “I just have to signal to people that this is most likely not just a two week period. It is longer than that,” said Dr. Robert Strang on Monday. Read more about what’s in N.S.
Prince Edward Island has introduced a “strict” system of fines for people who do not abide by rules aimed at eliminating COVID-19. Read more about what’s on P.E.I.
The government of Newfoundland and Labrador orders more companies to shut down as more cases of COVID-19 occur in the province. “We are actively considering further measures to reduce our risk,” said Chief Health Officer Dr. Janice Fitzgerald. Read more about what’s in N.L.
Nunavut closes its border for all but returning residents and critical workers to slow the spread of COVID-19. The Northwest Territories government closes a major freeway and Yukon is addressing the first reported cases of COVID-19 after a couple has returned from the United States. Read more about what’s happening in the north.
By Tuesday at 6:30 a.m.CET, Canada had nearly 2,100 confirmed and suspected cases of COVID-19. Here’s a look at the number of cases – including deaths and recoveries – by province.
British Columbia: 472 confirmed cases, including 100 resolved and 13 deaths.
Ontario: 504 confirmed cases, including eight resolved and six deaths.
Alberta: 301 confirmed cases, including three resolved and one death.
Quebec: 628 confirmed cases, including one resolved and four deaths.
Saskatchewan: 66 confirmed and suspected cases.
Manitoba: 20 confirmed and suspected cases.
New Brunswick: 17 confirmed and suspected cases.
Nova Scotia: 41 confirmed and suspected cases.
Prince Edward Island: Three cases that the province lists as positive.
Newfoundland and Labrador: 24 confirmed and suspected cases.
Northwest Territories: A Confirmed Case.
Yukon: Two confirmed cases.
Repatriated Canadians: 13 confirmed cases.
Suspected cases are individuals who have tested positive but are still awaiting confirmation from the National Microbiology Lab in Winnipeg. Not all provinces provide numbers of those who have recovered. The recent death of a Canadian in Japan related to COVID-19 is not currently on the province-by-province list of cases.
Here’s what happens in the United States.
CLOCK | Trump wants to relax the COVID 19 restrictions and get the Americans back to work:
By The Associated Press, updated at 5:30 p.m. CET
Senior congressional and White House officials who are negotiating the $ 2 trillion coronavirus bailout package expect to reach agreement sometime on Tuesday. Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin and Senate Democratic Chairman Chuck Schumer said they had spoken to President Donald Trump by phone when they met late at night at the Capitol.
While the site has solved many problems in the comprehensive package, some disagreements remain. Washington has been trying to respond to the worsening coronavirus outbreak, and the mood in Congress has flared up at times.
In the meantime, Trump is openly considering opening a 15-day shutdown next Monday.
In New York, where a nationwide ban came into effect on Monday, the battle for public health and political resources intensified, and the city of 8.4 million people became one of the world’s major hotspots. More than 12,000 people have tested positive in the city and nearly 100 have died.
The mayor warned that the city’s hospitals were only 10 days away from the shortage of basic services, while the state governor announced plans to convert a New York convention center to a hospital.
“It will get a lot worse before it gets better,” said Governor Andrew Cuomo.
Here’s what happens in Europe
CLOCK | Russia’s coronavirus count is checked:
By The Associated Press, updated at 6:00 p.m. ET
There was confusion in Britain the first morning after Prime Minister Boris Johnson ordered a three-week cessation of all nonessential activities to combat the spread of the new corona virus. The government has advised most businesses to close and ban meetings of three or more people. Everyone except the key workers should only leave the house to buy groceries, medication, or exercise.
But photos showed crowded trains on some London Underground lines on Tuesday amidst the confusion over who is still allowed to go to work. The Mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, tweeted: “I cannot say this more clearly: we now have to stop all non-essential public transport. Employers: Please support your employees in their work from home, unless it is absolutely Ignoring these rules means losing more lives. ” “” The government says the police will have the authority to break up illegal gatherings and fine people who break the rules. However, some expressed doubts as to whether the ban could be enforced.
In Italy, Declines in new cases and deaths for a second day in a row gave a weak glimmer of hope. Officials said Monday the virus had claimed slightly more than 600 lives, compared to 793 two days ago. The outbreak killed more than 6,000 Italians, the highest death toll in a country, and brought the health care system there and in Spain to the breaking point.
In Spain, Madrid’s ice rink is now used as a temporary mortuary as the number of deaths in the Spanish capital increases rapidly due to the COVID 19 outbreak. Security forces guarded the outside of the Palacio de Hielo complex on the northeastern outskirts of Madrid on Tuesday when funeral cars arrived and entered the building’s underground garage. Madrid is one of the most affected regions in Spain with around 1,300 deaths, which is about half of the national total.
Here’s a look at what’s happening elsewhere, including the most affected areas like Iran and South Korea
CLOCK | Can Canada learn from what Taiwan is doing to fight back COVID-19?
By Reuters and The Associated Press, updated at 7 a.m. ET
The death toll in Iran The outbreak of the coronavirus increased by 122 to 1,934 in the last 24 hours, Ministry of Health spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour said on Tuesday. The total number of people diagnosed with COVID-19
rose by 1,762 to 24,811 in the last 24 hours, he added on state television.
South Korea says The corona virus was found in 19 out of 1,444 passengers who arrived from Europe on Sunday. The first cases were discovered after the authorities began testing everyone coming from the continent. South Korean Department of Health official Yoon Tae-ho said Tuesday that 101 of the approximately 1,200 passengers arriving from Europe on Monday showed fever or respiratory problems. South Korea says it will fully fund the treatment of virus carriers regardless of their nationality. Even if tested negatively, South Korean nationals arriving from Europe or foreigners entering the country with a long-term visa must quarantine for two weeks.
South Africa’s coronavirus cases jumped again on Tuesday to 554, the largest part of a country in Africa, when its 57 million people rushed to prepare for a closure that starts on Thursday. President Cyril Ramaphosa announced the 21-day ban on Monday night. Rwanda and Tunisia had previously announced bans. Workers in South Africa must stay at home, with the exception of those who provide essential services such as health care and safety, as well as the production and distribution of food, utilities and medical products. Across Africa, 43 of its 54 countries have cases with the sum at 1,788. Thirteen countries have reported 58 deaths. South Africa has not accepted one.