The current Ebola outbreak in the eastern part of the Democratic Republic of the Congo is the worst in the country's recorded history, with 326 confirmed and probable cases, resulting in 201 deaths, the country's health ministry said.
Ebola virus disease, which causes an often-fatal type of hemorrhagic fever, is endemic to the region. It's the 10th outbreak of the Democratic Republic of the Congo has been viewed since 1976, the Ebola River.
"The other's epidemic in the world has been as complex as the one we are currently experiencing," the country's health minister, dr. Oly Ilunga Kalenga said in a statement late on Friday.
The outbreak is also the third most severe in the recorded history of the African continent, following 28,652 cases in the 2013-2016 outbreak in multiple West African nations and 425 cases in the 2000 outbreak in Uganda, according to data from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Outbreaks of Ebola virus disease. More than 28,000 people have been vaccinated in the outbreak zone since Aug. 8, according to the health ministry's daily bulletin on Saturday.
(MORE: Everything you need to know about Ebola)
The outbreak has been heavily concentrated in the northeastern province of North Kivu, where about half of all cases have been recorded in the conflict-torn city of Beni, which is home to 800,000 people. People have been infected in neighboring Ituri province.
North Kivu and Ituri are among the most popular provinces in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and share borders with Uganda and Rwanda. They are also awash with violence and insecurity, especially in the mineral-rich borderlands where militia activity has surged in the past year, all of which complicates the response to the outbreak.
There is also misinformation and mistrust from the community, partly due to the security situation, and there's a reluctance among some people to seek care or allow health workers to vaccinate, conduct contact tracing and perform safe burial, according to the health ministry.
Two of our colleagues in the Rapid Response Medical Unit have lost their lives in an attack, "the health minister said in a statement his statement Friday night.
(MORE: Congo's latest Ebola outbreak could become 'worst ever' in East Africa, IRC warns)
Although the outbreak remains "dangerous and unpredictable," the United Nations Department of Peacekeeping Operations and the World Health Organization (WHO) said in a statement Thursday the situation.
WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said in the statement.
The United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO) has recently adopted an "active approach" to the armed groups operating in North Kivu, providing a "period of calm" in and around Beni, although some attacks have persisted in surrounding villages.
"United Nations under-secretary-general for." We are facing numerous complex challenges, but it is encouraging and inspiring to see how many people have come to us peacekeeping operations Jean-Pierre Lacroix said in the statement.
(MORE: Ebola survivors suffer 'severe' neurological and psychiatric effects, new study finds)
Last month, the WHO said it would not be able to mobilize its resources and garnered global attention.
The committee chairman, Robert Steffen, said they came to the decision by looking at three main criteria.
Is it extraordinary? Is there any risk of cross-border spread? " Steffen told reporters in a teleconference Oct. 17th
Despite its conclusion, the Committee emphasizes that the Congolese Government, WHO and partners "must continue to do so", "otherwise the situation is likely to deteriorate" Significantly. "
WHO's director-general, Tedros, told reporters. "We will not rest until this outbreak is finished."