The Director of Data Governance is responsible for executing and implementing data governance policies and procedures within the organization. They will be part of the data team within the corporate risk function, with managerial responsibilities and reporting directly to the Head of Data.
Primary Responsibilities: To excel in this role, the individual must successfully perform the following primary duties:
- Develop and implement the data framework according to the data roadmap.
- Define roles and responsibilities related to data governance and collaborate with business functions to enhance data accountability and implement data stewardship.
- Establish the data quality framework and define measurement standards to ensure data suitability for its intended purpose.
- Collaborate with business and technical staff to identify and implement proactive data quality monitoring, and generate data quality KPIs and metrics.
- Strengthen the business glossary, metadata management, and data lineage procedures, ensuring regulatory compliance.
- Work closely with the second and third lines of defense (2nd and 3rd LOD) to ensure timely completion of remediation efforts.
- Continuously improve data governance capabilities to enhance operational efficiency and reduce risks.
- Collaborate with other teams and staff on complex projects involving data governance.
- Work with the technical data team and Information Governance team to classify and secure sensitive data.
- Participate in business requirements gathering and conduct in-depth analysis of critical business applications to identify data quality improvements and automation opportunities.
- Plan and execute a company-wide data awareness and education campaign in collaboration with the data team.
- Develop and mentor team members, providing on-the-job teaching.
- Manage a team of 3-5 staff members.
Qualifications: The qualifications listed below represent the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the primary functions.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in data analytics, computer science, or a related field.
- 8+ years of data experience in the capital market domain, with at least 3 years of hands-on work in data governance.
- Practical experience in implementing organization-wide data governance frameworks and delivering data capabilities.
- Experience working with the second and third lines of defense (2nd and 3rd LOD).
- Familiarity with data governance tools such as IBM ISEE, Informatica, or Collibra.
- Proficiency in SQL.
- Strong data analysis skills.
- Knowledge of industry-leading data governance practices.
- Ability to manage complex projects and deliver them on time with high-quality standards.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and mentor individuals.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management abilities, with the capability to handle multiple tasks.