Home Health Energy drinks have completely ruined my life

Energy drinks have completely ruined my life

One man claims the shocking damage to his teeth stems from his crippling addiction to energy drinks, where he consumed six Monster Energy drinks each day.

Vinnie Pyner, 21, was thrilled with cans of green Monster Energy to help him stay awake for his college education, he said.

Soon he was at breakfast, lunch and dinner – and finally drank six cans a day.

Although he brushed his teeth twice a day, he had a toothache and finally bit into an apple and his four front teeth snapped.

After seven months of consuming around 45 cans a week, he became cold, but was too embarrassed to go back to college.

His dentist found that every tooth in his mouth was rotten, he claims, and Pyner is now ready to get 24 fillings and dentures for his front teeth.

The embarrassing Pyner from Margate in south-east England urges others to warn about over-consumption of energy drinks.

"It began to relieve the stress and pressure of my college class because you have to focus on arithmetic and coding," he said.

"But I never thought it would be that bad, it dramatically changed my trust. I had the ambition to become a game designer, but now my hopes have failed.

"The dentist was very shocked to see my teeth and she said it was one of the worst cases of tooth decay and damage she had ever seen.

Monster Energy drinks.
Getty Images

He says his dependency on Monster Energy "ruined my life completely".

"I could not attend college like that, so I had to leave because I could not stand the embarrassment. I'm not sure what the future holds, but I hope I can get back on my feet. "

Pyner says he started Monster Energy's BTEC computation and coding studies at East Kent College in September 2017, just prior to his sophomore year.

"It started with three a day at breakfast, lunch and dinner so I could stay focused during my studies," he said.

"I often felt tired and badly needed the energy drinks."

In October 2017, Pyner started buying multipacks several weeks after the new school year, increasing its uptake and dependency.

"It was good value for money and much cheaper than buying single cans. But the temptation to have a four-pack and drink them all at once seized me with the caffeine in them.

"It was as if I had to renew this addiction on a regular basis, and if I did not, I would have caffeine withdrawal symptoms, such as severe headaches and muscle aches."

At this point, Pyner's mother, Tara, began to voice concerns.

"I started bringing him home with multipacks regularly, which was the first sign of addiction," said the 46-year-old mother of one.

"I noticed that the living space was getting worse as his bedrooms were always full of cans. But I never thought it would be that bad. "

At Christmas 2017, Pyner's addiction took control, and he had two more doses between the college classes, raising his total to six a day.

As a result, he got a toothache every time he ate.

"Every time I ate something, it was very painful, so it was a nightmare every time I had something to eat," Pyner said.

"At the time, I realized that my addiction to monster drinks was getting worse. I never thought to tell anyone, I just coped with the pain. "

In March 2018, he heard a crackling noise after biting an apple.

"I did not think much about it until I swallowed something swallowing before I realized that my upper four teeth had broken off. I was shocked and at the same time very worried, the damage looked absolutely terrible.

"I could not tell my mother because she was so worried about what she had said and embarrassed by what she had said. So I tried not to open my mouth too far when I was near Mother. "

But his mother became suspicious after a few days and asked him to show her teeth.

"It was absolutely shocking. His upper four incisors had completely fallen off and you could see his gum line, it was awful, "she said.

"Incisors are often the first adult teeth that grow and make up most of our smile, so his smile was completely ruined."

Pyner immediately sought a dental treatment.

Dentists found that all of Pyner's teeth had rotted and he was told that he needed 24 fillings and a pair of teeth for the front four teeth.

His self-confidence dropped sharply and he dropped out of college. Now he spends all his time at home and rarely goes out.

"I can not do much, let alone think about my future," Pyner said.

"I can not apply for a job as the interviewers look at my teeth and say no at once. The smile is the first thing you see in a job interview. "

He started dental treatment in September and hopes to return to college soon. In the meantime, he warns people to avoid energy drinks.

"Stay away from them, they are completely harmful and could ruin your life."

Monster Energy Drinks was approached for comment.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Must Read

Girl, 2, STI tested after putting a condom found in McDonald's in her mouth

A little girl had to be tested after a used condom in a McDonald store on STI (Pictures: 9News / Getty)Parents need to wait...

The predator fleeing big white sharks in fear

Killer whales have a friendlier image than white sharks. (Perhaps because of their respective depictions in movies: Jaws 2 even begins with the stranded...

Pagni: "Milan, with 5 points in six games don't go in the Champions League"

In football, as Juventus has just shown in the Champions League, winning is above all a matter of mentality. It's not just the money...