UOne of the messages of the event highlighted by Fernando García, a specialist in crop fertilization, is that the nutritional quality of the crops results in a higher quality of the food.
The Fertilizar Civil Association held its traditional Fertility Symposium 2021 for three days (May 12 and 19 and this Wednesday) virtually under the slogan “Science and technology for sustainable nutrition.”
The event, in which more than 3,200 people participated online, was the setting for professionals in the sector to discuss the need to improve crop productivity and grain quality, focused on soil recovery and care enviroment.
On May 12, on the first day, Andrés Grasso, Fertilizar’s technical coordinator, spoke about the availability of nutrients and responses in production and quality. “You have to know that our great production reservoir is the nutrients that are in the soil, that these nutrients are limiting and that the bridge to be able to reconcile grain production with those limitations is fertilization,” he said.
Meanwhile, Fernando García, academic coordinator of the event, shared the 12 messages he left at the meeting:
- Science provides us with evidence that gives us certainty for decision making.
- Nutrient use has increased, but balances are still negative.
- The nutritional quality of the crops results in higher quality of the food.
- Balanced fertilizations increase yields by 16% over those obtained with current fertilization.
- The current fertilization doses are not enough to close the productive gap, based on the available evidence for the diagnosis and nutrition management.
- Foliar fertilization is a complementary practice that impacts production and quality and contributes to greater efficiency in the use of nutrients.
- Inoculants and / or biostimulants can increase yields up to 8%.
- The technologies of digital agriculture contribute to give value to the field and human resources.
- The current challenges of agriculture are to increase productivity and improve quality, but with the efficient use of resources.
- The challenge is to decouple production increases from environmental and social impacts.
- There is a new world paradigm for the fertilizer industry that requires us to work with the whole of society on productivity and efficiency, climate change, health, recycling and soil degradation.
- Fertilizers play a key role in food security.
Steps to follow
On the last virtual day of the meeting, the executive manager of the Association, María Fernanda González Sanjuan, announced the continuity of the symposium, which takes place every two years, in Rosario in 2023 and raised the wish that it be in person again.
Fertilizar is a non-profit civil association created 25 years ago and formed by different actors of the agricultural industry, whose objective is to raise awareness about the importance of the rational use of fertilizers and the sustainability of the productive system.
“Our objective is to explain the agronomic and economic advantages of the balanced addition of nutrients on the productivity of crops and pastures and on the fertility of the soil for sustainable agriculture,” they explained.