A suspect has been arrested, said the police, without giving more details for the time on the causes of this shooting.
A suspect was arrested Friday morning, August 10, shortly after a shootout that killed at least four people in the Canadian city of Fredericton, in the province of eastern New Brunswick, police said.
UDPATE: At this time we can confirm that we have one suspect in custody.
Police continue to have the Brookside ar … https://t.co/kYbhTO9mt0
Two police officers are among the victims, the police said on his Twitter account. The Brookside neighborhood, in the center of this city of 60,000, has been cordoned off and "The investigation continues"she added. The police have called on the population to avoid the area, a residential area near a small commercial area, according to testimonies collected by television.
The police also called not to release information that could pinpoint the precise location of the shooting.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau immediately reacted on Twitter:
Terrible news from Fredericton. I am wholeheartedly with those who are affected by the rifle … https://t.co/V8K8sJqRr4
No more details about the causes
This shootings "Killed at least four people", she said before, without giving more details about its causes. It occurred in the early morning, around 7 o'clock in the morning, according to several witnesses.
The first images of CBC showed many police cars and ambulances framing a residential area, suburban. Robert DiDiodato, a neighborhood resident interviewed by CBC, recounted having heard noises from "Firecrackers" around 7 o'clock in the morning. "Given the pace, it could have been a shot. It made "pop, pop, pop" ", did he declare.
Rachel Le Blanc, also interviewed by the channel, said she heard four shots. Another witness thought he heard "Fifteen shots", according to CBC.
A country already experienced by multiple shootings
On the evening of July 22, a man opened fire in a busy Toronto artery, killing an 18-year-old girl and a 10-year-old girl, and injuring 13 others. The shooting was claimed by the Islamic State (IS) jihadist organization, but the police claimed they had no evidence to back up the claim.
The province of New Brunswick had already experienced a deadly shootout in June 2014. Three police officers from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP, federal police) had been shot dead in the street in Moncton, New Brunswick's main city, by a man who had fired on them. The murderer was sentenced to seventy-five years in prison, the hardest sentence imposed on a person convicted in recent records in Canada.