Havana authorities announce new measures ‘to alleviate public transport deficit’

The Temporary Work Group of Havana announced a group of measures aimed at alleviating the deficit of the transport public in the capital, among which is the entry into operation of 40 new buses for peak hours in the morning and afternoon, reported Havana Tribune.

Engineer Leandro Méndez Peña, director of the General Directorate of Transport of Havana (DGTH), said that I know will allow the entry of a greater number of passengers on the bus to increase transportation capacity, limited by the pandemic.

In the case of the so-called gazelles, which had been partially assigned to functions related to the Covid-19 pandemic, the official said that about 50 will rejoin public service.

Another of the measures announced by the Cuban authorities was related to extending to other centers of the Education Superior mobility of schedules which is already applied at the José Antonio Echeverría Technological University of Havana, to deconcentrate the influx of students at peak times.

Officials also established streamline coordination with companies and other entities for the use of their means in public transportation when they have completed the transfer of their workers.

However, despite the decrease in Covid-19 cases in the capital, the use of the nasobuco will continue to be mandatory At the same time, the sanitation work of the equipment will be intensified, said Méndez Peña.

The official, as is customary in these cases, blamed the sector’s problems on embargo U.S alleging that it prevents “the acquisition of parts and new means of transport.”

During the last two months the state public transport has worsened alarmingly in Havana. Although the authorities of the Ministry of Transport (MITRANS) in the province have neither admitted nor denied the rumors that point to a grave fuel shortage, the queues at the Cupet and the crowds at bus stops metropolitans and route taxi boarding points a few days after Cuba reopens its borders.

Habaneros consulted by DIARIO DE CUBA speculated that, After the opening of the borders announced by the Government for November 15, the fuel supply could also worsen, then the Government would prioritize international tourism. This would exacerbate public transport crisis.

.