The decision of U.S to place a Huawei on a blacklist started to provoke a domino effect, as several large telephone operators in Japan and Britain announced on Wednesday that they were abandoning the Chinese giant for the time being.
The British EE and Vodafone and the Japanese Y! Mobile (from Softbank), KDDI and NTT Docomo They said they paused the launch of Huawei smartphones, including those that allow their use in next-generation mobile networks, amid uncertainty about the devices of which is now the second largest mobile phone manufacturer in the world.
Washington launched a tough global campaign against Huawei that last week climbed when Trump banned US telecommunications companies trade with foreign firms considered "at risk" for national security.
The measure, however, will not enter into force for a period of 90 days, although the Japanese groups preferred to anticipate, since these apparatuses could lose a great part of their interest without the contribution of American technology.
SoftBank had planned to launch Huawei's new smartphone on Friday, but canceled that presentation. "We are trying to confirm whether our customers will be able to use the device in complete safety," said company spokesman Hiroyuki Mizukami.
For his part, KDDI said he was studying "the repercussions of the American decision."
In 2018 Huawei was in fifth place in Japan, far behind Apple but in strong advance with sales of about two million units (+ 63% per year) in a total market of 31 million smartphones, according to figures from the MM Research Institute.
It's a drop of water for the Chinese telecommunications giant, first network provider and second smartphone manufacturer in the world (206 million devices sold in 2018), but it is undoubtedly a new blow after Google's announcement on Sunday.
But in the UK, the group founded in 1987 also suffered a blow on Wednesday, as operators EE and Vodafone excluded 5G compatible Huawei smartphones from their orders with a view to launching their respective networks in the coming days.
The commercialization of Huawei will not be resumed "until we have the certainty and the long-term guarantee that the customers who buy these products will have support throughout the life of the device they acquired with us," said the CEO of EE, Marc Allera The company was also scheduled to sell the Mate 20X, followed by Huawei's Mate X folding phone.
A Vodafone spokesman explained that it is "a temporary measure as long as the uncertainty persists regarding Huawei's new 5G models."
Suspicions of espionage
Huawei is presented as the undisputed leader of 5G, the fifth generation of mobile telephony that will allow ultra-fast access to the Internet.
These ads are a hard blow for the Chinese giant After Google made it known on Sunday that its Android system, which equips the vast majority of phones in the world, would no longer be offered to Huawei.
Without Android, Huawei could have many difficulties to convince their customers to buy their phones, devoid of the applications Gmail (mail), Maps (cartography) or YouTube (video platform).
"The worst thing would be a total break in access to US technology," the consultancy Eurasia Group warned, noting that Huawei "probably would not survive in its current form."
On the side of the networks, EE also confirmed that it was going to separate progressively from Huawei equipment.
A spokesman for the Chinese group said Wednesday that Huawei "provides the 5G wireless equipment to EE and will continue to provide the most advanced equipment and services for the 5G network in the UK."
Present in 170 countries, Huawei is suspected of espionage in favor of the Chinese government, which would have contributed greatly to its irresistible international expansion.
Washington has already banned its military from using Huawei equipment.
The Chinese giant on his side strongly denies any kind of espionage.
(tagsToTranslate) Companies (t) Huawei (t) China (t) Google (t) Cellular Telephony (t) Smartphones (t) Espionage