NEW YORK, November 2. / Tass /. The head of Tesla, Ilon Musk, may refuse to make further investments from the business structures of Saudi Arabia in connection with the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Hashkaji. This Musk said on Friday, answering questions online portal Recode. The transcript of the conversation was published on the website of this portal.
The head of the company was asked whether, in the light of the high-profile murder, he would in the future receive any funds from the Saudi Arabian Sovereign Fund, with which he had previously discussed plans to transform Tesla into a privately owned enterprise. "I think that maybe we will not do this," replied Musk.
He reported that consultations with the foundation had been going on for two years. "I mean, it’s important to appreciate the perseverance of the Saudis who tried to negotiate with me for two years about turning [Tesla] in a private company. And it was not something spontaneous, "said Musk.
Previously, the Bloomberg news agency reported that the Saudi Arabian sovereign fund could increase its investment in Tesla and is negotiating to acquire shares with company management. And the British newspaper Financial Times informed that the sovereign fund accumulated its share in Tesla in the amount of about $ 2 billion.
Hashkaji, famous for critical articles about the politics of Riyadh, disappeared when he visited his country's consulate general in Istanbul on October 2. On October 20, Saudi authorities reported that a journalist was killed in a diplomatic mission building as a result of the conflict. Under investigation are 18 subjects of the kingdom, whose identities are not revealed. The world community strongly condemned this crime, urging Riyadh to conduct a transparent investigation. Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, in turn, said that the assassination of Hashkaji was carefully planned.