Inscriptions of American soldiers secret tunnels

Inscriptions of American soldiers secret tunnels

These images show dozens of inscriptions made by American 'Doughboys' World War I soldiers in twelve miles of secret tunnels in the northern woods.

America has sent more than a million soldiers to Europe, and they were called doughboys because pejorative European cavalrymen thought the big brass buttons on their uniforms looked like the dumplings or dough cake.

116,516 Americans died on the bloody battlefields of Europe during the first US military deployment to defend foreign soil.

Among them were the young men of the 26th Infantry Division of Boston, who arrived in Saint-Nazaire, France on September 27, 1917, to support British and French troops and support the Aisne Line – the Allied Front, behind Chemin des Dames ,

By the end of the war 100 years ago, 1,587 Yankees would be killed and 12,077 injured.

The ridge of Chemin des Dames would change hands several times during a series of ultimately fruitless battles. Alone in the second battle of Aisne died in early 1917 within a few weeks 400,000 soldiers.

When the US troops were not at the front, some of them had found shelter in a dry cave in Froidmont, where they distributed the hours by carving their names and graffiti on the walls.

After the war, this cave has been preserved and has been a tourist attraction for decades, with access controlled by the local historical association – who opened the cave to a Reuters photographer on the centenary of the truce.

Creative: Inscriptions from 26th Division American soldiers can be seen at the Froidmont Quarry in Chemin des Dames. Boston's 26th Infantry Division arrived in Saint-Nazaire (France) on September 27, 1917, to support British and French troops and support the Aisne Line - the Allied Front, behind Chemin des Dames. The ridge would change hands several times during a series of ultimately fruitless battles. Alone in the second battle of Aisne died in early 1917 within a few weeks 400,000 soldiers.

Creative: Inscriptions from 26th Division American soldiers can be seen at the Froidmont Quarry in Chemin des Dames. Boston's 26th Infantry Division arrived in Saint-Nazaire (France) on September 27, 1917, to support British and French troops and support the Aisne Line - the Allied Front, behind Chemin des Dames. The ridge would change hands several times during a series of ultimately fruitless battles. Alone in the second battle of Aisne died in early 1917 within a few weeks 400,000 soldiers.

Creative: Inscriptions from 26th Division American soldiers can be seen at the Froidmont Quarry in Chemin des Dames. Boston's 26th Infantry Division arrived in Saint-Nazaire (France) on September 27, 1917, to assist British and French troops and helped keep the Aisne Line – the Allied Front behind the Chemin des Dames. The ridge would change hands several times during a series of ultimately fruitless battles. Alone in the second battle of Aisne died in early 1917 within a few weeks 400,000 soldiers.

Troops of the 26th Infantry Division used the Froidmont Quarry in Chemin des Dames to protect themselves from relentless German artillery. Pictured: Photos of the two forces - RA Best and LE Williams - using the quarry were placed near their inscriptions. The quarry of Froidmont has been a tourist attraction for decades, and over the years local enthusiasts have been able to use military records to match the names on the wall of the quarry with their photographs. However, it is not known if these two soldiers survived the war

Troops of the 26th Infantry Division used the Froidmont Quarry in Chemin des Dames to protect themselves from relentless German artillery. Pictured: Photos of the two forces - RA Best and LE Williams - using the quarry were placed near their inscriptions. The quarry of Froidmont has been a tourist attraction for decades, and over the years local enthusiasts have been able to use military records to match the names on the wall of the quarry with their photographs. However, it is not known if these two soldiers survived the war

Troops of the 26th Infantry Division used the Froidmont Quarry in Chemin des Dames to protect themselves from relentless German artillery. Pictured: Photos of the two forces – RA Best and LE Williams – using the quarry were placed near their inscriptions. The quarry of Froidmont has been a tourist attraction for decades, and over the years local enthusiasts have been able to use military records to match the names on the wall of the quarry with their photographs. However, it is not known if these two soldiers survived the war

Gilles Chauwin, president of the Chemin des Dames Association and a lover of World War I, shows a portrait of American soldier F. A. Hoyt of the 26th Infantry Division alongside graffiti he left behind in the 12-mile tunnel complex 100 years ago. Mr. Chawin's historical union could compare Hoyt's service protocol with his graffiti in the tunnel. He survived the war

Gilles Chauwin, president of the Chemin des Dames Association and a lover of World War I, shows a portrait of American soldier F. A. Hoyt of the 26th Infantry Division alongside graffiti he left behind in the 12-mile tunnel complex 100 years ago. Mr. Chawin's historical union could compare Hoyt's service protocol with his graffiti in the tunnel. He survived the war

Gilles Chauwin, president of the Chemin des Dames Association and a lover of World War I, shows a portrait of American soldier F. A. Hoyt of the 26th Infantry Division alongside graffiti he left behind in the 12-mile tunnel complex 100 years ago. Mr. Chawin's historical union could compare Hoyt's service protocol with his graffiti in the tunnel. He survived the war

Soldiers of Company F of the 26th Division, including Joseph Bridges (center with glasses). All of her recruits came from New England and were nicknamed "Yankees." The Yankees were the second division that the US had used in World War I in the first American intervention in a European conflict. America has sent more than a million soldiers to Europe, and they were called doughboys because European cavalrymen thought the big brass buttons on their uniforms looked like dumplings or dough pies.

Soldiers of Company F of the 26th Division, including Joseph Bridges (center with glasses). All of her recruits came from New England and were nicknamed "Yankees." The Yankees were the second division that the US had used in World War I in the first American intervention in a European conflict. America has sent more than a million soldiers to Europe, and they were called doughboys because European cavalrymen thought the big brass buttons on their uniforms looked like dumplings or dough pies.

Soldiers of Company F of the 26th Division, including Joseph Bridges (center with glasses). All of her recruits came from New England and were nicknamed "Yankees." The Yankees were the second division that the US had used in World War I in the first American intervention in a European conflict. America has sent more than a million soldiers to Europe, and they were called doughboys because European cavalrymen thought the big brass buttons on their uniforms looked like dumplings or dough pies.

This picture shows an opening to one of the tunnels in northern France, with American soldiers standing outside the prison. All of their recruits from the 26th Division came from New England, so they got the nickname "Yankees," which describes someone from the state

This picture shows an opening to one of the tunnels in northern France, with American soldiers standing outside the prison. All of their recruits from the 26th Division came from New England, so they got the nickname "Yankees," which describes someone from the state

This picture shows an opening to one of the tunnels in northern France, with American soldiers standing outside the prison. All of their recruits from the 26th Division came from New England, so they got the nickname "Yankees" – which describes someone from the state

A carving depicting a dog with a german helmet. In the run-up to the centenary of the ceasefire, new images of the inscriptions of Reuters photographer Charles Platiau were published

A carving depicting a dog with a german helmet. In the run-up to the centenary of the ceasefire, new images of the inscriptions of Reuters photographer Charles Platiau were published

A carving depicting a dog with a german helmet. In the run-up to the centenary of the ceasefire, new images of the inscriptions of Reuters photographer Charles Platiau were published

A graffiti depicting a French soldier. In the break from the front row, recruits carved 250 military insignia and portraits of themselves and their horses into the stone as they tucked in the quarry, which was equipped with artificial light and drinking water

A graffiti depicting a French soldier. In the break from the front row, recruits carved 250 military insignia and portraits of themselves and their horses into the stone as they tucked in the quarry, which was equipped with artificial light and drinking water

A graffiti depicting a French soldier. In the break from the front row, recruits carved 250 military insignia and portraits of themselves and their horses into the stone as they tucked in the quarry, which was equipped with artificial light and drinking water

US corporal Earle Madeley of Plainville, Connecticut, wrote this barely legible message, which included his age of 20. In total, after 210 days of the First World War, 1,587 Yankee Division members were killed and 12,077 injured

US corporal Earle Madeley of Plainville, Connecticut, wrote this barely legible message, which included his age of 20. In total, after 210 days of the First World War, 1,587 Yankee Division members were killed and 12,077 injured

US corporal Earle Madeley of Plainville, Connecticut, wrote this barely legible message, which included his age of 20. In total, after 210 days of the First World War, 1,587 Yankee Division members were killed and 12,077 injured

A drawing by William Frederick & # 39; Buffalo Bill & # 39; Cody, seen in the quarry of Froidmont, where the soldiers found shelter. The survivors of the Yankee Division returned to the United States on May 3, 1919 in Camp Devens, Massachusetts

A drawing by William Frederick & # 39; Buffalo Bill & # 39; Cody, seen in the quarry of Froidmont, where the soldiers found shelter. The survivors of the Yankee Division returned to the United States on May 3, 1919 in Camp Devens, Massachusetts

A drawing by William Frederick & # 39; Buffalo Bill & # 39; Cody depicts, seen in the Froidmont Quarry, where the soldiers found shelter. The survivors of the Yankee Division returned to the United States on May 3, 1919 in Camp Devens, Massachusetts

The "Yankee Department"

The 26th Division was formed on 18 July 1917 and activated on 22 August 1917 at Camp Edwards, MA.

The commander of the division nicknamed "Yankee Division" to highlight its geographical composition.

Sent to Europe during the First World War as part of the American Expeditionary Forces, extensive fighting took place in France.

During the Second World War, the division fought again through France to advance to Germany and to free the Gusen concentration camp.

In the break from the front row, recruits carved 250 military insignia and portraits of themselves and their horses into the stone as they tucked in the quarry, which was equipped with artificial light and drinking water.

In the run-up to the centenary of the ceasefire, new images of the inscriptions of Reuters photographer Charles Platiau were published.

The carvings are rarely seen because people need a special date to look at them, but they have been preserved since the war.

Boston's 26th Infantry Division arrived in Saint-Nazaire (France) on September 27, 1917, to assist British and French troops and helped keep the Aisne Line – the Allied Front behind the Chemin des Dames.

All of their recruits came from New England, so they got the nickname "Yankees," which describes someone from the state.

The Yankees were the second division that the US had used in World War I in the first American intervention in a European conflict.

From then on, the action ushered in a US interventionist US foreign policy that later came to the aid of the Allied forces against the Nazis.

The division received six campaign retreats (military awards) for battle across northern France.

A total of 1,587 Yankees were killed and 12,077 wounded after 210 days of combat. The survivors returned to the United States on May 3, 1919 in Camp Devens, Massachusetts.

The Froidmont Quarry, also known as the American Quarry, is managed by an association and can only be visited by appointment.

The only access to the quarry is via a ladder through a hole in the ceiling, which is closed with a hatch.

A caricature of Kaiser Wilhelm, the Emperor of Germany, can be seen in the quarry of Froidmont, where US soldiers hid during the First World War

A caricature of Kaiser Wilhelm, the Emperor of Germany, can be seen in the quarry of Froidmont, where US soldiers hid during the First World War

A caricature of Kaiser Wilhelm, the Emperor of Germany, can be seen in the quarry of Froidmont, where US soldiers hid during the First World War

Portrait of Wilhelm II (1859 - 1941), early 20th century. He was the last German Emperor and King of Prussia, who ruled from 15 June 1888 until the end of the First World War (November 1918). He was the grandson of Queen Victoria of England

Portrait of Wilhelm II (1859 - 1941), early 20th century. He was the last German Emperor and King of Prussia, who ruled from 15 June 1888 until the end of the First World War (November 1918). He was the grandson of Queen Victoria of England

Portrait of Wilhelm II (1859 – 1941), early 20th century. He was the last German Emperor and King of Prussia, who ruled from 15 June 1888 until the end of the First World War (November 1918). He was the grandson of Queen Victoria of England

Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames Association and avid WW1 enthusiast, is stepping down a ladder. The Froidmont Quarry, also known as the American Quarry, is managed by an association and can only be visited by appointment

Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames Association and avid WW1 enthusiast, is stepping down a ladder. The Froidmont Quarry, also known as the American Quarry, is managed by an association and can only be visited by appointment

Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames Association and avid WW1 enthusiast, is stepping down a ladder. The Froidmont Quarry, also known as the American Quarry, is managed by an association and can only be visited by appointment

Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames Association and avid WW1 lover, walks through the Froidmont Quarry

Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames Association and avid WW1 lover, walks through the Froidmont Quarry

Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames Association and avid WW1 lover, walks through the Froidmont Quarry

Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames Association and avid WW1 fan, joins the Froidmont Quarry

Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames Association and avid WW1 fan, joins the Froidmont Quarry

Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames Association and avid WW1 fan, joins the Froidmont Quarry

Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames Association and avid WW1 fan, points to American graffiti in the Froidmont quarry

Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames Association and avid WW1 fan, points to American graffiti in the Froidmont quarry

Gilles Chauwin, President of the Chemin des Dames Association and avid WW1 fan, points to American graffiti in the Froidmont quarry

Visitors descend into the Froidmont Quarry, a complex tunnel network that has become a haven for US soldiers

Visitors descend into the Froidmont Quarry, a complex tunnel network that has become a haven for US soldiers

Visitors descend into the Froidmont Quarry, a complex tunnel network that has become a haven for US soldiers

Graffiti of an anonymous soldier in Latin and blue ink reads: "Hello Caesar, we who die will greet you"

Graffiti of an anonymous soldier in Latin and blue ink reads: "Hello Caesar, we who die will greet you"

Graffiti by an anonymous soldier in Latin and blue ink reads: "Hello Caesar, we who are going to die, greet you"

Among the 1,000 inscriptions discovered in the Froidmont quarry are carvings of American soldiers of the 26th Division

Among the 1,000 inscriptions discovered in the Froidmont quarry are carvings of American soldiers of the 26th Division

Among the 1,000 inscriptions discovered in the Froidmont quarry are carvings of American soldiers of the 26th Division

A German helmet in the Froidmont Quarry. A total of 1,587 Yankees were killed and 12,077 wounded after 210 days of combat. The survivors returned to the United States on May 3, 1919 in Camp Devens, Massachusetts

A German helmet in the Froidmont Quarry. A total of 1,587 Yankees were killed and 12,077 wounded after 210 days of combat. The survivors returned to the United States on May 3, 1919 in Camp Devens, Massachusetts

A German helmet in the Froidmont Quarry. A total of 1,587 Yankees were killed and 12,077 wounded after 210 days of combat. The survivors returned to the United States on May 3, 1919 in Camp Devens, Massachusetts

Leave a comment

Send a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.