Borussia Mönchengladbach’s sporting director Roland Virkus has avoided a clear denial of the alleged interest in striker Niclas Füllkrug from Werder Bremen.
“Of course I know Niclas Füllkrug. A good player. I’ve had a conversation with him in the youth division, when I was still youth director at Borussia, we met Niclas Füllkrug. That’s why I know him, but that’s him last contact we had,” said Virkus on “Sky” about Füllkrug, whose contract in Bremen runs until the summer of 2025.
The 29-year-old international had recently been linked to other clubs several times, including even FC Bayern. A trail should also lead to Gladbach in the case of the Füllkrug.
“There are many players who can help us. We also have to see what the overall structure of a squad looks like. But there are many guys who can be interesting for Borussia Mönchengladbach,” Virkus reacted to the rumours.
Gladbach needs a new goalscorer
A clear denial sounds different, especially since Füllkrug, currently the top scorer of the Bundesliga season with 13 goals this season, would look good on Borussia from a sporting point of view. All the more so because the signs between Gladbach and attacker Marcus Thuram point to separation in the summer.
“Sky” reported in mid-January that a move to the Lower Rhine was an option for Füllkrug. The big problem from Gladbach’s point of view: Werder probably demands between 15 and 20 million euros for the top performer.
Niclas Füllkrug’s late commitment to Werder Bremen
For a long time, during the transfer period that ended on Tuesday, there was even speculation about a short-term change of Füllkrugs. At the weekend after the 2-0 win against VfL Wolfsburg, in which he tied a brace, the 29-year-old then ended the discussions about his future and at least initially committed himself to Werder.
He had previously rejected several requests from other clubs, said Füllkrug, who said: “I always think it shows character when you tackle things on the spot.”