With Sky Sports News
Last updated: 16/03/19 8:32
Pep Guardiola has claimed that Jadon Sancho "did not want the challenge of becoming the first regular in Manchester City.
The 18-year-old left City in August 2017 for Borussia Dortmund, after he had rejected a professional contract in the Premier League.
Since then, he has developed into a star in the Bundesliga and was able to prevail in 2018/19 with nine goals and 11 assists in 32 games.
Sancho's form has made him known internationally to England, but Guardiola says that the winger will never know if he could have built a regular starting place in City.
"He did not want to take on this challenge to find out if he was capable of that," said the Manchester City manager.
"He has decided to go there. So it's perfect. It's going well and congratulations on what he's doing.
"He is doing an incredible job. He has done incredibly well this season. What would have happened this season (here)? I dont know.
"For the players, it depends on them and what they do on the court."
Sancho was inducted into Gareth Southgate's 25-man squad on Wednesday for the upcoming European Championship qualifiers against the Czech Republic and Montenegro.
Play Super 6
Predict 6 correct results for your chance to win 250,000 €.