Khashoggi affair: new macabre revelations

Khashoggi affair: new macabre revelations

Jamal Khashoggi's family will have to wait for some time before they can recover the journalist's body. On Friday, a Turkish official claimed that the dismembered body of the Saudi had been disbanded. New information that comes as the fiancée of the opposition journalist claims that the international community judges the culprits of his disappearance. In the columns of everyday life Hürriyet, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan's advisor to the ruling AKP party in Turkey, said: "We see at this point that they did not just dismember it, they got rid of it the solvent. According to the latest information we have, the reason they cut the body is to dissolve it more easily, "added Yasin Aktay.

At a press conference in Washington on Thursday, US State Department spokesman Robert Palladino said "Mr. Khashoggi's remains must be located and returned to his family for an appropriate burial as soon as possible. possible. " The editorialist Jamal Khashoggi, collaborator of the Washington Post, was killed on October 2 in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, where he went for administrative formalities for his marriage to a Turk, Hatice Cengiz. A month after his death, and despite the efforts of the Turkish authorities, his body, or what would remain, has still not been found.

Read too. Khashoggi case: the embarrassed silence of Israel

In a statement released Wednesday, the Istanbul prosecutor's office said that "the victim was dismembered" and that "we got rid of it", without however specify how. After the prosecutor's statements, an unnamed Turkish official told Washington Post that the authorities were examining a track in which his body was dissolved in acid at the consulate or in the residence of the nearby consul. After initially claiming that Jamal Khashoggi had left the consulate shortly thereafter, and then claimed that he had died in a fight, Riyad eventually evoked an "unauthorized operation" by the authorities.

Erdogan accuses

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said on Friday that the order to kill journalist Jamal Khashoggi came from "the highest levels of the Saudi government," but he also exonerated King Salman of any responsibility, in a forum published in the Washington Post. "I would like to point out that Turkey and Saudi Arabia have friendly relations," said Recep Tayyip Ergogan. "I do not believe for a single moment that King Salman, the guardian of the holy mosques, ordered the coup against Khashoggi," he added.

"We know that the perpetrators (of the assassination) are among the eighteen suspects held by Saudi Arabia. We also know that these individuals came to execute their orders: kill Khashoggi and leave. Finally, we know that the order to kill Khashoggi came from the highest levels of the Saudi government, "the Turkish president wrote in his column. Washington Post.

What justice for Jamal Khashoggi?

The disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi as well as the doubts and the vagueness which remain around the circumstances of his death did not fail to make react the international community. But one person in particular demands that light be shed on the whole matter and that those responsible be judged. This is Hatice Cengiz, the fiancée of the Saudi opposition journalist. In a forum published Friday in several media, including The worldshe claims justice. "Today, I ask the international community to take real, serious and concrete steps to bring the truth to light and bring those responsible to justice," she writes.

Read too. Sarkozy: "It's not the MBS I know"

While several Turkish officials and media have directly blamed Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salmane, said MBS, Riyadh is trying to clear it by insisting on the "unauthorized" nature of the operation. Hatice Cengiz called on the United States, the country in which Khashoggi exiled in 2017, to be "at the forefront of efforts" to bring those responsible to justice. "The first amendment to their constitution alone symbolizes the ideals Jamal embodied," she says. However, faced with this tragedy, the Trump administration has adopted a position devoid of any moral foundation. Washington is putting pressure on Riyadh for the case to be cleared up, but seems to give the benefit of the doubt to MBS, a powerful Washington ally in the Middle East.

Read too. Daoud – Saudi Arabia: the world in search of an alibi

86 journalists killed in 2018

The latest macabre revelations about the circumstances of Khashoggi's murder coincide with the International Day Against Impunity for Crimes against Journalists introduced by UNESCO and celebrated on Friday. Since 2006, the UN agency has condemned the killings of 1,010 journalists and media professionals. But nine out of ten cases have never been brought to justice, according to a report released Thursday. Between 1 January and the end of October 2018, UNESCO recorded the killing of 86 journalists.

Leave a comment

Send a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.