La Jornada – New lawsuits against rapper Travis Scott for wrongful death

Naperville. The families of two suburban Chicago boys who were killed this month at the Astroworld concert in Houston have sued rapper Travis Scott, entertainment company Live Nation and others for wrongful death.

The proceedings, presented by the families of Jacob Jake Jurinek, 20, and Franco Patino, 21, of Naperville, Illinois, are part of a spate of lawsuits against Scott and the companies behind the Nov. 5 concert in which 10 people were killed and hundreds injured when a crowd he pushed the attendees, crushing and trampling many of them.

As with many of the other lawsuits, the companies, Scott and a concert organizer who was on stage when the incident occurred, are blamed for failing to take the most basic safety precautions.

“The defendants flagrantly failed in their duty to protect the health, safety, and life of the public, including, among others, not having provided qualified security personnel to apply crowd control measures, adequate barricades, and sufficient emergency medical support.” the lawsuits uphold.

Patino and Jurinek were university students. The first at the University of Dayton in Ohio and the second at Southern Illinois University-Carbondale. They had been teammates on the football team in high school in Naperville.

Like the loved ones of other victims, a partner at the Chicago law firm Corboy & Demetrio, which filed the lawsuits this week in Harris County courts in Houston, said the relatives are trying to prosecute something that looks like a without sense.

“A healthy, strong 20 or 21-year-old boy goes to a concert thinking he’s going to have a little fun and celebrate, in this case, Jake’s 21st birthday,” Corboy said, according to the Naperville Sun.

“Nobody expects to go to something as happy and joyous as a concert and end up dead. When they pay these high prices for concert tickets, no one anticipates that they will have to worry about things like this. “