Lockdown puts Bayern in the cards
Status: 11:16 a.m. | Reading time: 3 minutes
The transfer epic about Leroy Sané is nearing the final. FC Bayern agree with the Manchester City international. Oliver Kahn also caused a rethink. The transfer fee seems to be halved.
EIt seemed like a never-ending story – but now a happy ending is coming. Leroy Sané and FC Bayern Munich are said to have agreed to work together. This is reported by “Sport Bild” in its Wednesday edition.
The German record champions and the 24-year-old international from Manchester City basically agree on a five-year contract. It is only a matter of the transfer fee that the Bundesliga league leader has to pay at the table runners-up of the Premier League – however, the business for Bayern should be significantly cheaper than had to be assumed a few months ago.
The Munich-based company deposited 40 million euros in Manchester as a basis for negotiations. It is expected that it could eventually settle at just over 50 million. Before the Corona crisis, it was said that Sané would only be released if at least 100 million euros were offered.
Schalke 04 could also benefit
It seems to be paying off economically that the Bavarians have been patient. Due to the general uncertainty regarding the effects of the football lockdown on the transfer market, the managers of the large clubs are currently assuming that many particularly expensive player changes will probably not take place until next year – but then Sané’s contract would expire.
Manchester City would only have the chance this summer to achieve a transfer that is almost in line with the market. Should the transfer for Sané be over 50 million euros, Schalke 04, from where the attacking player moved to England in 2016, would benefit from the change. Then ten percent of the transfer would go to Gelsenkirchen.
As far as Sané’s sporting qualities are concerned, Bayern have obviously also rethought. For a long time there had been similar concerns in Munich as with national coach Joachim Löw regarding the technically savvy but sometimes moody offensive player. According to “Sport Bild” information, the re-evaluation of the personnel is particularly due to sports director Hasan Salihamidzic and board member Oliver Kahn. Both campaigned for the transfer and received support from the supervisory board.
Timo Werner’s explanation in a new light
Against this background, it also becomes clear why Timo Werner (24) recently said that he would rather go abroad than to Bayern Munich – the Munich team decided to refrain from the striker’s commitment to RB Leipzig because of the Sané personnel. In addition to Sané, Bayern want to hire a right-back for outgoing loaner Álvaro Odriozola (24).
As of now there should be no further transfers. However, efforts for midfielder Kai Harvertz (20 / Bayer Leverkusen) and central defender Dayot Upamecano (21 / RB Leipzig) could be resumed next year.