Rapper Mac Miller died of a mixture of the strong opioid fentanyl, cocaine and alcohol, the investigating judge announced in Los Angeles on Monday.
The 26-year-old rapper died in September when he was unresponsive to his studio in Studio City. The authorities carried out an autopsy on Miller the following day, but "one cause of death was postponed until further investigations were pending," the medical examiner's office said in a release.
It took months for the toxicology report to be completed to conclude that Miller had the deadly drug mixture in his system. The coroner decided the official way of death as an accident.
Fentanyl, a synthetic opioid, is 50 to 100 times more potent than morphine. Illegally-produced fentanyl, as used in cancer patients to treat severe pain, is often mixed with heroin or cocaine, according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Last year, the country recorded a record overdose of drugs, an increase caused by the use of synthetic opioids, the CDC noted.
Recently, several deaths have been linked to the drug. Prince died at the age of 57 in April 2016, and a coroner ordered an accidental overdose and found fentanyl in his system. Tom Petty, 66, died in October 2017 from an accidental overdose after mixing medications, including the opioid.
Miller's death shook the music community. A "Celebration of Life" concert featuring performances by Chance the Rapper, John Mayer, SZA, Travis Scott, Miguel and Anderson .Paak was held in Los Angeles last month and streamed live on Miller's official Facebook page.
After Miller's death, his family issued a statement in which he described him as "a bright light in this world for his family, friends, and fans."
Born in Malaga McCormick, Pittsburgh, Mac Miller became a sensation in 2011 with his album "Blue Slide Park," which debuted at # 1 on the Billboard 200 charts. But critical pans accompanied his success, and he had honestly quarreled with stress, depression, and drugs.
Shortly before his death Miller had announced a joint tour with Thundercat, which should begin in October. And a Vulture profile released the day before his death drew a picture of a musician who is usually "quite excited and busy with music, and also deals with elaborating and balancing his diet," while "not over Mistakes and indulgences goes out ". including a DUI fee in months before.
"I was very open minded about really dark things," Miller told Vulture, "because that's what I experienced then, that's good, that's good, that's life, it should be all emotions."
Prince died of an accidental overdose of a powerful analgesic, showing the autopsy
What do we know about fentanyl, the powerful drug that killed Prince?