HONG KONG, Jan 29 (Reuters) – Macao’s Chinese territory is now a close-ghost town during the most urgent time of the year in the world’s Casino hub, after the authorities have added abundance to advertise to keep visitors away. new coronavirus.
Local government said late Tuesday that it would restrict its individual visiting scheme through which visitors get from the mainland from China, a day after it has suspended package tours. From Friday, 69% of those who attended, the latest figures showed.
These steps came as deaths from the coronary 132 arrived in China on Wednesday with 1,500 new cases. The virus such as influenza emerged last year in the eastern city of Wuhan and reported cases worldwide since, including seven in Macau.
The virus added to the concern of the former Portuguese colony about the impact of the Chinese economy which was slowed down and anti-government protests in nearby Hong Kong.
However, the outbreak coincides with the Lunar New Year holiday, where Macau visits recorded seasonally, encouraging analysts to reduce gambling income by at least 30% while visiting restrictions apply.
Share prices of Casino operators explode on Wednesday, as much as 6% for MGM China Holdings Ltd, 5.7% for China Sands Ltd, 4.8% for Wynn Macau Ltd and 4.7% for Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd.
The special administrative region of China, where legal casino gaming is located, is the special administrative region, with over 90% of visitors from the GDA.
However, transport links with the mainland of China were restricted and the many flights and ferry services canceled. Local government has also extended the Lunar New Year break to the end of the week, closing banks and businesses.
On Tuesday, one of Macao’s busiest tourists has been towed – the high-profile stone facade named St. Paul’s Ruins – was abandoned, while shopping and dining streets were covered as local residents also stayed at home.
Casinos were open although restaurants were approaching restaurants and canceled all shows. Macau Ho Iat Seng said that casinos could stop if the virus continues to spread.
Also known as “2019-nCoV” also reported the first virus in Wuhan, a major transport hub and capital of Hubei’s central province with a population of 11 million people.
Macao government gave guidance to every tourist from Hubei to leave the city. About 270 left, officials said.
(Reported by Farah Master; Editing by Anne Marie Roantree, Christopher Cushing and Michael Perry)