Magnus Carlsen, chess | Huge dividend for the chess king

Magnus Carlsen granted himself a huge dividend for 2019.

Our long-standing world player in chess also makes it sharply financially. Through its investment company MagnusChess AS, Carlsen has raised many millions in recent years, ie: Magnus Carlsen owns 85 percent of the company, his father Henrik the remaining 15 percent.

The annual accounts of MagnusChess AS correctly show a decrease in revenues from 17.3 million in 2018 to 12.8 million last year. During the period, financial income increased from just over one million to 2.5 million kroner.

Before tax in 2019, the chess king and his father were left with a profit of NOK 6.6 million, down from just under NOK 8.8 million the year before. However, father and son Carlsen allocated a dividend of as much as NOK 20 million for 2019, while they did not withdraw anything in 2018.



80 million

The huge dividend was approved at an extraordinary general meeting in February. With last year’s result, the company’s leading world chess player has earned around NOK 80 million over the past ten years since Carlsen reached the world top in 2007.

Read also: Magnus Carlsen stays in Norway for a long time: – Will be calm going forward

At the end of last year, the investment company had values ​​of NOK 40 million. Just over NOK 15 million were long-term investments in various funds, while NOK 15 million was safe and well placed in the bank.

Some millions were also invested in the short term in various mutual funds. In addition, at the end of 2019, the company had shares in the airline Norwegian for NOK 317,000. These aircraft shares are almost worthless today.


No success

Magnus Carlsen is the largest owner in the technology company Play Magnus AS, which is behind the popular chess app of the same name. The company raised NOK 126 million in a capital increase in March just before the corona outbreak, according to DN.no.

In the past two years, Play Magnus AS has had a turnover of just over NOK 10 million in total, but has made a staggering loss. For 2018 and 2019, the total loss is NOK 20 million before tax.

Sven Magnus Øen Carlsen (29), who is his full name, became world champion in long jump on 22 November 2013 and defended the championship title in 2014, 2016 and 2018.


None over

He has won the World Cup in lightning chess a total of five times and the World Cup in fast chess three times. In May 2014, he achieved the highest long chess rating ever for a chess player with a score of 2882. Today, the rating is 2863.

According to Wikipedia, Carlsen has been ranked as the world‘s best chess player since January 2010, with only three exceptions.

In addition to being the world‘s decided chess player, Carlsen has also excelled in the virtual game Fantasy Premier League, where he has topped the list of over 7 million players.

Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on pinterest
Pinterest
Share on twitter
Twitter
Share on linkedin
LinkedIn
Share on email
Email

Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.