Massachusetts man dies in the state of Death's first shark attack in 80 years

Massachusetts man dies in the state of Death's first shark attack in 80 years

A man bitten by a shark in Cape Cod has died and became Massachusetts's first shark bomb in over 80 years.

The 26-year-old and his friend were boogie boarding ahead of Newcomb Hollow Beach at Wellfleet when the attack took place around noon on Saturday, Wellfleet Police Lieutenant Michael Hurley said.

Witnesses on the shore watched in horror as the injured man was dragged out of the water by his friend.

Joe Booth, a local fisherman and surfer, said he saw the victim step behind him and a tail flickering in the water.

"I was the guy on the beach screaming," Shark, shark! " said Mr. Booth.

"It was like out of the movie, Jaws." This has quickly become Amity Island. "

The people on the beach hastily hurried to a tourniquet while others called the ambulance.

"We surfed here all morning and they were just further down," said Hayley Williamson, a Cape Cod Local.

"Right place, wrong time, I think."

The man was taken to Cape Cod Hospital, where he died later, police spokesman David Procopio said.

The beach where the friends lived is now closed.

The 26-year-old was from Revere in Massachusetts. His family was notified, but his name has not been published yet.

Last month, a 61-year-old man from New York was seriously injured on 15 August after fighting a shark in Truro, just four miles from Saturday's attack.

He is recovering at Boston Hospital.

There were frequent shark sightings along Cape Cod this summer.

The US National Park Service said it has shut down the beaches 25 times this year for at least one hour, which is more than twice the annual average.

A Cape Cod politician blamed the attack on officials who did not take aggressive action against white sharks.

"It is my personal conviction that the responsibility for this terrible shark attack is directly on the shoulders of the above-mentioned officials because they have not received any attention and inaction over the recent years of Cape Cod's growing problem of shark fishing," Barnstable said County Commissioner Ron Beaty.

The last shark attack in that state was on July 25, 1936, when 16-year-old Joseph Troy Jr. was bitten in the waters off Mattapoisett.

Associated Press contributed to this report

Leave a comment

Send a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.