At least 63 people have died and some 3,000 were injured in a massive explosion in the port of Beirut on Tuesday for causes still under investigation.
A spokesman for the Ministry of Health who requested anonymity confirmed by telephone to Efe the number of deaths and injuries, which have left the hospitals in the Lebanese capital full of injuries.
Lebanese Prime Minister Hasan Diab promised today that those responsible for the big explosion will “pay the price.”
In a short televised speech, Diab affirmed that “this catastrophe will not pass without responsibilities” and that justice is the government’s job.
“This is a promise to the martyrs and the wounded,” said the chief executive.
The explosion took place on Tuesday afternoon in a warehouse in the port of Beirut, where “highly explosive material had been confiscated for years,” according to Lebanese General Security Director Ibrahim Abbas.
The deflagration was felt throughout the capital, over which a mushroom-shaped cloud rose, an explosion and later columns of white and reddish smoke.
Eyewitnesses told Efe that there was breakage of glass in homes more than five kilometers from the explosion and that the buildings suffered damages of various degrees in a radius of more than two kilometers.
Images disseminated on social networks showed the moment when the detonation occurred, which caused a large mushroom-shaped cloud rising in the sky and a strong expansive wave that has affected several neighborhoods of the city and caused material damage.
The authorities have given orders to mobilize the Army, enable hospital facilities to care for the wounded and provide shelter for all those who have been displaced by the explosion.
The Lebanese government declared a day of national mourning on Wednesday for the victims of the explosion and has announced an investigation to hold those responsible to account for the event.