Dubai (AFP) – killed more than 100 people and injured a lot in a missile and a drone attack was blamed on Huthi rebels in central Yemen, Sunday officials said.
Saturday’s strike continues after a few months of war between Huthis and internationally recognized Yemen government, supported by a Saudi-led military coalition.
Huthis attacked a mosque in a military camp in the Central province of Marib – about 170 kilometers (105 miles) east of the capital Sanaa – during evening prayers, told AFP military sources.
“We strongly condemn the terrorist attack at mosque by Huthi militias … which left more than 100 dead and much injured,” Yemen’s foreign ministry said on Twitter.
The army spokesman said that the dead included soldiers and civilians, and that the Huthis would render ruthless strikes.
The victims were transported to Marib city hospital, where 83 dead and 148 injured earlier.
Death tolls are often disputed in the Yemen militant conflict, but the massive casualty list in Marib is one of the worst individual attacks since the war collapsed in 2014 when the rebels took Sanaa.
Huthis did not immediately assume responsibility for responsibility.
Television broadcast Al-Hadath, which was owned by Saudi, video he said he showed after the attack.
Body parts can be seen on the floor among shredded debris. Blood is pooled on the carpet and is distributed on the walls.
The drone strike and missiles arrived day after coalition-backed government forces launched a large-scale operation against Huthis in the Nihm region, north of Sanaa.
Nihm’s fight took place on Sunday, a military source said Saba’s official news agency.
“Competitors from militia (Huthi) were killed and injured,” said the source.
– ‘Stop the increase now’ –
President Yemena Abedrabbo Mansour Hadi argued the “bark and terrorist” attack on the mosque, which reported Saba.
“The embarrassment acts of the Huthi militia undoubtedly confirm their willingness to achieve peace, because she knows only death and destruction and she is Iranian ‘s free instrument in the region,” he said Hadi was saying.
The United Nations delegate, Martin Griffiths, condemned the attack from the air and said the increase in military activities in three of the bodies “when airstrips, missiles and land attacks were reported”.
“I have previously said that the hard progress made by Yemen on de-escalation is very vulnerable. Such actions can deter this progress,” he said in a statement.
EU foreign policy spokesman Peter Stano said in a late Sunday statement that “all parties should show restraint and engage positively with the UN Special Envoy to end the conflict.” T
“The EU will continue to support the UN to achieve this with all the tools at its disposal,” he said.
– Famine Risk – t
Just last week Griffiths welcomed what he described as “one of the quietest periods of this conflict”, in information to the United Nations Security Council in which he warned that the lull could not be sustained without progress. political.
Year after your war warfare Yemen entered into a ceasefire at the United Nations in the port capital of the Red Sea, Hodeida and its surroundings, the fight in the province has lapsed, but the slow implementation of the deal out hope of conflict.
The significant agreement signed in Sweden in December 2018 was that Yemen had the best chance to date to end the country’s famine threat.
Thousands of people were killed, mostly civilians, and millions were displaced in the war which threatened the country, killing the worst humanitarian crisis in the world.
Saudi Arabia and its allies intervened in the conflict to restore government against Huthis in March 2015, shortly after Sanaa was controlled by the rebels.
A senior UN official warned Thursday that some key factors which threatened a famine in Yemen were repeated last year, including a plunge in the value of the national currency.
“With the rapid regulation and reduction of salary payments, we are looking again at some of the key conditions that Yemen brought to the famine a year ago,” said Ramesh Rajasingham, who coordinates humanitarian aid in Yemen, with the UN Security Council.
“We must let that happen again,” he said.