https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tracli.2021.08.110Get rights and content

Introduction

The problem of blood donation in developing countries arises acutely because of a very low number of blood donors. In Mali, many people make the link between blood donation and HIV / AIDS testing. In addition, socio-cultural considerations linked to blood do not favor blood donation. In this article we study the knowledge, attitudes and practices of blood donors in Bamako, in order to identify all the contours of this sociological issue.

Materials and methods

This was a descriptive cross-sectional study carried out at the CNTS and in the districts of Bamako throughout 2017. An individual questionnaire was administered to 1000 donors and focus groups were carried out with 200 donors. The sampling was exhaustive and consecutive. Thus, all the people who presented themselves during the period of the study on the fixed or mobile cabin sites were interviewed.

Results

The male sex represented 86.60% of the 1000 donors questioned. The 25 to 34 age group represented nearly one in two donors (42.10%). The liberal professions were the main socio-professional category (43%) among voluntary donors. Of the 1000 donors, 71% were family or compensatory donors, the other 29% voluntary donors.

Conclusion

In order to recruit more voluntary donors, we recommend, among other things, to intensify the mobile collection from the population, to clearly inform the population about the usefulness of blood donation and to involve leaders (political and religious) in the process. awareness of blood donation.

Copyright © 2021 Published by Elsevier Masson SAS