Mushrooms: ANSES and the DGS alert to poisoning

Mushrooms: ANSES and the DGS alert to poisoning

With favorable weather conditions, 250 poisonous poisonings have been reported by poison control centers over the past two weeks, including four severe cases. Many cases are also due to mixtures, errors that have contaminated the collection, but in Ile-de-France we observe poisoning by mushrooms bought in the trade. Faced with this figure, the National Health Security Agency (ANSES) and the General Directorate of Health (DGS) sound the alarm and call the gatherers to vigilance.
Symptoms of intoxication arrive twelve hours after eating
The consequences on health are digestive disorders that can be severe or liver damage that may require a transplant, remind ANSES and the DGS. Nausea, vomiting, sweating, vertigo, or visual disturbances … appearing within twelve hours after mushroom consumption, are all potential symptoms of intoxication. Immediately call 15 or a poison control center.
The "phalloid syndrome", characterized by digestive signs occurring on average 10h to 12h after the consumption of fungi and which can cause liver failure, is fatal in the absence of treatment This syndrome can be caused by amanita (phalloid amanita, virulent amanita …), small lepicans or galleys
Mushrooms safely
The consequences on health can be very serious: severe digestive disorders, liver damage that may require a transplant … ANSES and the DGS therefore recall the advice to enjoy serenely harvesting:
• Only pick the mushrooms you know best: some highly poisonous poisonous mushrooms are very similar to edible species;
• If there is any doubt about the condition or identification of any of the harvested mushrooms, do not consume the crop until you have it checked by a specialist in the field. Pharmacists or mycology associations and societies in your area can be consulted;
• Only pick the specimens in good condition and collect the whole mushroom (foot and hat), to allow identification;
• Do not pick mushrooms near polluted sites (roadsides, industrial areas, landfills);
• Separate the harvested mushrooms by species to avoid the mixing of pieces of poisonous mushrooms with edible mushrooms;
• Place the mushrooms separately, in a box or cardboard, but never in a plastic bag that accelerates decay;
• Wash hands thoroughly after harvesting;
• Store the mushrooms separately and in good conditions in the refrigerator and consume them within two days after harvesting;
• Consume mushrooms in reasonable quantities after sufficient cooking and never consume them raw;
• Never offer mushrooms picked to young children.
                                
                                        
                                            Interested in this topic ? Come to discuss it on our forum!
                                        
                                        
                                    
                                

                
                

                                

                        
                                
                
                            

Leave a comment

Send a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.