Thanks to an amendment approved by the Commission to the budget to the Sostegni Bis Decree and then implemented in the Government’s Maxi Amendment, other 350 million euros of new incentives to get the car bonus.
The incentive, called Ecobonus, it was supposed to expire on 30 June 2021, as envisaged in the original text of the Decree, but it was extended until 31 December 2021. This bonus is used to scrap the old polluting vehicle and can also be used on used cars.
Let’s see all the innovations introduced, what are the criteria for obtaining the car bonus, the amount of the incentive and how to apply.
BONUS AUTO, THE NEWS IN THE AMENDMENT TO THE BIS SUPPORT DECREE
The extension of the car bonus approved in the procedure for converting the Sostegni Bis Decree into law guarantees the duration of the incentive for cars up to December 31, 2021. Specifically, the amendment added to article 73 of the text of the Decree Law of 25 May 2021, n. 73 a set of parameters, extension and more resources which we explain in detail below.
The big news, however, concerns the used vehicles: The car bonus is now valid not only for those who buy in Italy a new factory vehicle (also under finance leases) of the classic M1 category, special or commercial category N1, but also for those who buy a used one. To obtain the eco-bonus there are a series of specific criteria and a renewed division of funds. It should be borne in mind that the amendment to the Sostegni Bis decree approved by the Chamber of Deputies must be ratified by the Senate by 24 July next. Let’s analyze in detail the innovations introduced.
EXTRA RESOURCES FOR LESS POLLUTING NEW VEHICLES
The auto bonus has been refinanced with 350 million and the fund will be split for finance the purchase of low-emission vehicles. Specifically, the economic evaluation for the financing of new less polluting vehicles is done by virtue of their category and by calculating their emissions in grams of carbon dioxide (C02) per kilometer. The appeals will therefore be divided as follows:
- 60 million euros they will be used for the purchase (or even financial leasing) of motor vehicles with emissions of up to 60 grams of CO2 per km;
- 200 million euros for the purchase (or even financial leasing) of motor vehicles with emissions from 61 to 135 grams of CO2 per km;
- 50 million euros for the purchase (or even in financial leasing) of new factory category N1 commercial vehicles and special category M1 vehicles, of which 15 million they will be reserved for the purchase of exclusively electric vehicles (electric car bonus);
RESOURCES FOR USED VEHICLES IN THE AUTO BONUS
Financing with 40 million euros for the purchase of used M1 category vehicles, for which the expected benefits for the purchase of low-emission vehicles have not already been obtained, with class not lower than Euro 6 and that have a price not exceeding 25 thousand euros, compared to the average prices. The contextual is also needed scrapping of a vehicle registered before 1 January 2011, of which the buyer or a cohabiting family member have been the owner or holders for at least 12 months. The auto bonus amounts to:
- for vehicles with inputs from 0 to 60 grams of CO2 per km: 2.000 euro;
- for vehicles with inputs from 61 to 90 grams of CO2 per km: 1.000 euro;
- for vehicles with inputs from 91 to 160 grams of CO2 per km: 750 euro.
The used car bonus is also recognized, only if the car transferor joins and until the resources are exhausted. The buyer will be entitled to the bonus as a discount on the price and the seller will recover it as tax credit offset with F24.
AUTO 2021 BONUS, WHO IS IT
As provided for in the 2021 Budget Law, the incentives are aimed at those who buy (or even in financial leases) register in Italy:
- M1 category cars;
- Special N1 and M1 category commercial vehicles.
Initially there was also a bonus for the purchase of “category L” mopeds and motorcycles with expiry on June 30, 2021. For these vehicles there was no extension during the conversion of the law.
CARS CATEGORY M1
The auto bonus applies primarily to i M1 category vehicles, or cars intended for the transport of persons with a maximum of 8 seats in addition to the driver’s seat and equipped with at least four wheels. They must be:
- factory new;
- with CO2 emissions not exceeding 135 grams per km;
- purchased and registered in Italy from 1 March 2019 to 31 December 2021 with the list price not exceeding 50,000 euros, excluding VAT (up to 60 g / km of CO2) or 40,000 euros, excluding VAT (up to 135 g / km of CO2).
The 2021 Budget Law also added the incentive for the bands between 0 – 135 grams of CO2 per km, while with the previous Decrees the incentive stopped at 60 grams of CO2 per km. Now, for M1 cars in the range between 0 and 60 grams of CO2 per km, the list price must not exceed 50 thousand euros. In the emissions band between 61 and 135 grams of CO2 per km, a contribution was also introduced for M1 category vehicles scrapped from 1 January 2021 to 30 June of the same year with a list price of the new vehicle not exceeding 40 thousand euros. For these bands it is also possible to scrap a vehicle homologated to the Euro 5 class.
For categories of M1 vehicles from 0 to 135 grams of CO2 per km that purchase with simultaneous scrapping, the seller must recognize one discount of at least 2,000 euros. Instead, without scrapping it is mandatory that you apply one discount of at least 1,000 euros. The vehicle to be scrapped must have been registered in the name of the same person or one of the cohabiting family members for at least 12 months e approved for Euro 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 classes. Furthermore, the registration date of the scrapped vehicle must be prior to January 1, 2011.
COMMERCIAL VEHICLES N1 AND M1 SPECIAL
It is also possible to obtain the eco-bonus on vehicles intended for the transport of goods category N1 and on a special category M1 vehicle such as:
- armored vehicle;
- funeral car;
- wheelchair accessible vehicle.
These vehicles must be brand new, the total ground mass must not exceed 3.5 tons, must be purchased in Italy from 1 January 2021 to 30 June 2021. Furthermore, they must have been registered for at least 12 months to the same person as the new vehicle or to one of the family members living together e approved up to class 4 / IV. They should be powered according to the table provided for in the Budget Law, i.e. they must be vehicles:
- exclusively electric;
- hybrid or alternative feeding;
- other types of power sources recognized by law (for example petrol, diesel, petrol-LPG, methane, mixture and petroleum).
In the phase in which the new vehicle is purchased, it is necessary to indicate which vehicle is to be scrapped with the state incentive and then the sellers within 30 days must deliver it to a wrecker and cancel the motorist’s telematic counter. If there is no scrapping, it must be indicated in the purchase deed. The eco-bonus is valid for the purchase of electric vehicles and hybrids.
AUTO BONUS, AMOUNT FOR M1 CATEGORIES
The concessions have undergone several changes starting from the 2019 Budget Law up to the last August Decree. However, with the 2021 Budget Law, the car bonus for M1 category vehicles has been divided as follows:
- Emissions less than or equal to 20 grams of CO2 per km, from January 1st until December 31st 2021: 2,000 euros with the scrapping of a vehicle of the same category approved for a class lower than Euro 4, registered before 1 January 2011. Contribution of 1,000 euros without scrapping;
- Emissions lower than 20 and up to 60 grams of CO2 per km from 1 January until 31 December 2021: 2,000 euros with the scrapping of a vehicle of the same category approved for a class lower than 4 euros, registered before 1 January 2011. Bonus of 1,000 euros without scrapping;
- Emissions between 60 and 135 grams of CO2 per km from 1 January until 31 December 2021: 1,500 euros with the scrapping of a vehicle of the same category approved for a class lower than Euro 6 and registered before 1 January 2011.
THE AMOUNT OF THE BENEFITS FOR SPECIAL N1 AND M1 VEHICLES
With the 2021 Budget Law, the car bonus for i M1 special category vehicles and for commercial vehicles N1 has been divided as follows:
- For vehicles from 0 to 1,999 tons: the bonus for pure electric vehicles is equal to 4,000 euros, equal to 2,000 for hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles and equal to 1,200 euros for other types of fuel. Without scrapping, the bonus is equal to 3,200 euros equal to 1,200 euros for hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles. The amount is 800 euros for other types of food.
- For vehicles from 2 to 3,299 tons: the bonus for pure electric vehicles is equal to 5,600 euros, equal to 2,800 euros for hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles and equal to 2,000 euros for other types of fuel. Without scrapping, the bonus is € 4,800, equal to € 2,800 for hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles. It amounts to 2,000 for the other types of power supply.
- For vehicles from 3.3 to 3.5 tons : the car bonus for pure electric vehicles is equal to 8,000 euros, 4,400 euros for hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles, 3,200 euros for other types of fuel.
- Without scrapping the bonus amounts to 6,400 euros for electric vehicles, 2,800 euros for hybrid or alternative fuel vehicles and 2,000 euros for other types of power supply.
AUTO BONUS, HOW TO APPLY
To obtain the 2021 car bonus there is time until December 31, 2021. The procedure is in four phases:
- booking of contributions;
- payment of contributions;
- refund to seller;
- recovery of the contribution.
To apply must be the dealers who must register on the website of the Ministry of Economic Development “Ecobonus” and book the contributions for each individual vehicle.
A registration and reservation receipt will arrive shortly after, depending on the availability of resources. The contribution is paid to the seller and then passes to the buyer with a compensation relative to the purchase price. The vehicle manufacturers or importers will reimburse the seller, in turn, the amount of the contribution and will recover it – after the sale and with documents in hand – in the form of a tax credit.
With the amendment to the Sostegni Bis Decree, the contribution for used vehicles can be recognized only if the transferor adheres with the same procedure on the website of the Bet and until resources are exhausted. The entire amount will be recovered through a tax credit that can be used as compensation by presenting on the F24 sui telematic services of the Revenue Agency. Therefore, the rule on the application of incentives applies, i.e. the Law of 30 December 2018, n. 145.
Law Decree 25 May 2021, n. 73 (Pdf 440 kb) – Conversion text approved by the Chamber
Law 30 December 2020, n. 178 – Budget Law 2021- (Pdf 4 Mb)
Law 30 December 2018, n. 145 (Pdf 2 Mb)
OTHER HELP AND UPDATES
To find out all the aids, concessions and bonuses for workers and families you can visit this page. Among the novelties we point out the wedding bonus, the drinking water bonus, the holiday bonus, the culture bonus. Keep following us to stay updated and subscribe to our free newsletter to receive alerts on all the news directly.