• New Zealand is struggling with grief and horror on Sunday when the death toll rose to two days, two days after a shooter set fire to two mosques in the city of Christchurch. The terrorist attack seemed to have been carried out by a white nationalist who put a racist manifesto online and streamed a live video of the murders on Facebook.
• A 28-year-old man from Australia was charged with murder and appeared in a courtroom in Christchurch on Saturday morning. Court papers identified him as Brenton Harrison Tarrant. The New Zealand police said he will receive additional charges.
• Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Sunday that the suspect will be tried in New Zealand and her government will discuss arms regulation at a meeting on Monday. "There will be changes to our gun laws," she said.
The suspect is being tried in New Zealand, says Ardern
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Sunday that the suspect who was shot dead in Christchurch, an Australian citizen, is being tried in New Zealand and that her government would be discussing the country's gun laws at a meeting on Monday.
"There will be changes to our gun laws," she said at an afternoon press conference.
She also said she would look at the reports that there had been an increase in arms sales since the Friday attack in New Zealand.
A 28-year-old man from Australia was charged with murder and appeared in a courtroom in Christchurch on Saturday morning. Court papers identified him as Brenton Harrison Tarrant.
Ms. Ardern said he would receive more charges but did not say whether terrorist attacks would be considered. She said that she was seeking advice as to whether Mr. Tarrant could be turned over to Australia, but that his trial would take place in New Zealand.
"He will certainly face New Zealand's judicial system against the terrorist attack he committed here," she said.
There was no other shooter, said Mrs. Ardern. She said a person had been detained for the evidence gathered during the investigation, but there is no evidence that he was linked to the attack.
Mrs. Ardern said nine minutes before the attack, her office had been among more than 30 lawmakers and news organizations that received a manifesto allegedly from the shooter. According to its protocol, her office forwarded it to parliamentary security within two minutes of receipt, she said.
If the Manifesto had provided information that could be responded to immediately, said Mrs. Ardern, her office would have responded. She said she had read parts of the manifesto she called "deeply troubling."
Mrs Ardern said the list of people killed was still provisional and the families of the victims would receive financial support. She said families would receive the bodies of the victims from Sunday night, and all bodies will be returned by Wednesday.
The PM also said Facebook's Chief Operating Officer Sheryl Sandberg shared their condolences over the shootings, parts of which were streamed live on the social media platform.
On Sunday, Facebook said it had removed 1.5 million videos of the attack that had been posted worldwide, including 1.2 million blocked during upload. The company said it also removed edited versions of the video that did not show graphic content.
Many victims "need multiple surgeries," says the hospital
34 victims of the shootings remain in Christchurch Hospital, 12 in critical condition, the officials said on Sunday.
A 4-year-old girl is still in critical condition at a children's hospital in Auckland, where she was flown after the attack.
A spokesman for Christchurch Hospital, David Meates, said the hospital had treated nine new victims of Friday's attack on Saturday. They came with cuts, embedded glass splinters and injuries to the back, knees and feet.
Mr. Meates said the hospital had seven operating theaters on Sunday instead of the usual three.
"Many of these people require multiple surgeries because of the complex nature of their injuries, and several shorter surgeries need to be done in stages so that patients have the best chance of recovery," he said.
[Sogeht's[Here'showto[Sogeht's[Here’showtoHelp the victims of Christchurch shootings.]
Companies say employees were among those killed
Air New Zealand airline said one of its employees, Lilik Abdul Hamid, died on Friday in the attack.
The company's chief executive, Christopher Luxon, said in a statement that Hamid has been working as an aircraft maintenance engineer at Air New Zealand for 16 years.
"He first got to know the team when he worked with our aircraft engineers in an earlier role overseas," Luxon said. "The friendships he had made at the time prompted him to apply for a role in Air New Zealand and move to Christchurch."
Mr. Hamid is survived by his wife and two children, Luxon said.
Later on Sunday, PricewaterhouseCoopers company said one of its employees, Areeb Ahmed, was also killed.
"Areeb was a popular and respected member of our PwC family, who lived our values every day," he said. "His smile, his warmth, his commitment, his respect and his humor are deeply missed."
Little information about other victims as the death toll increases
The police said on Sunday that the death toll had risen to 50 when officials in the mosque on Deans Avenue discovered another body in which most of the victims had been killed. Another 50 people were injured.
"Since last night, we've been able to get all the victims from both scenes and have found another victim," said New Zealand police commissioner Mike Bush.
Mr. Bush said a list of the names of the victims was assembled with the help of senior religious leaders and shared with family members. He said the list was informal and officials would not publicly acknowledge the names until the bodies had been formally identified.
The bodies have not yet been released to the families of the victims, but Bush said he was aware that Muslim religious practice required an immediate burial.
"We are aware of the cultural and religious needs and do so as quickly and sensitively as possible," he said.
The police defend their reaction time
Police say it took 36 minutes for them to receive the first phone call for a mosque shootout until the suspect was taken into custody.
"That's an incredibly fast response time," said John Price, commander of the district police. "You have a mobile offender in a major metropolis, and I am very satisfied with the response of our employees."
During one On Saturday, a partial timetable was stated in a press conference, but many details remained unclear. Officers said the shooter arrived at a second mosque, where he continued to rage seven minutes after leaving the first one.
The suspect was later arrested by two police officers in a car using explosive devices. Mike Bush, the New Zealand Police Commissioner, said the police prevented further deaths.
"These two policemen have acted with absolute courage," Bush said Sunday. "I'm so proud of what they did. They have prevented further deaths and risked their lives. "
An attack could trigger a political fight over arms control
The shootout has vaulted New Zealand into a political dispute over arms control in this country, where an extraordinary number of people possess weapons with few restrictions. Authorities say the suspect used five weapons he had legally acquired during the attack, including two semi-automatic assault weapons.
Within hours of Friday's killings, Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern promised changes to New Zealand gun laws, saying that the rules for semi-automatic weapons were "one of the issues." New Zealand attorney general David Parker appeared to be at a vigil over this statement going out to the victims on Saturday, indicating that semi-automatic weapons would be banned, but he later went back. Mr. Parker told Radio New Zealand, who had tried to reflect on what Arder's comments said, "We must ban some semiautomatic devices, maybe all of them."
"These decisions are pending, but the PM has signaled that we will address this issue," said Parker said the transmitter.
Licensed New Zealand gun owners crowded back. The Kiwi Gun Blog, an online publication on gun rights, said it was one of the mosque gunners' goals to "attack the weapons rights of the responsible New Zealanders." She said, "Our prime minister is surrendering to him now."
It is undisputed that purchasing a semi-automatic military-style weapon in New Zealand is relatively easy where there are plenty of guns. According to a Small Arms Survey of 2017, there are more than 1.2 million firearms in the population of 4.6 million.
Under New Zealand law, anyone 16 years of age or older can apply for a firearms license, and anyone who has applied for a firearms license can apply for a license to own a semi-automatic military-grade weapon.
In the United States, the National Rifle Association, a leading proponent of gun ownership rights, made its first statement on the attack. He condemned the killer and said nothing about the weapons used.
"It does not matter if these senseless tragedies occur in the United States or abroad, our deepest sympathy goes to the victims and their families," said group spokesman Andrew Arulanandam. "This was the act of a monster. To the extent that the N.R.A. We are ridiculed because we extend our deepest sympathy to those affected by this terrible event. We do not apologize for our thoughts, words or prayers. "
Stories of heroism appear: "I was ready to give my life"
Abdul Aziz, 48, was in the Linwood Mosque and prayed with his four sons when he heard gunfire. He knew immediately that something was wrong.
Instead of running before the noise, he ran to it, grabbed the first thing he could find – a credit card machine – and threw it at the attacker. He tried to distract the assailant in a move that many co-worshipers considered heroic, snaking through cars in the parking lot, trying to distract the shooter's attention from the mosque.
Latef Alabi, reigning imam of Linwood, He told The Associated Press that the number of deaths in the mosque would have been much higher without Aziz's actions.
Mr. Aziz said he saw the attacker drop one of his pistols and manage to grab them, but when he pulled the trigger, the weapon was empty. As the shooter walked to his car, presumably to grab ammunition, Mr. Aziz said he had thrown the gun on the attacker's windshield and broken the glass. The attacker sped away.
Mr. Aziz remained humble and said in an interview with the New York Times that everyone in his position did the same. "I was ready to give my life to save another life," he said.
Mr. Aziz was from Kabul, Afghanistan, and lived in Australia for 27 years after fleeing the violence of his homeland. He moved to New Zealand a few years ago and called it a beautiful country.