No blame for the sham command system, the drone incident with security investigation

Rewrite this content Minister of National Defense Lee Jong-seop attends an inquiry into the pending issue of North Korean drone invasion at the plenary meeting of the National Defense Commission held at the National Assembly in Yeouido, Seoul on the 26th, and answers questions from lawmakers. Reporter Yoon Chang-wonOn December 26 of last year, the incident in which a North Korean drone invaded the airspace and roamed the skies of the capital city of Seoul, was virtually ended with the pitiful conclusion that communication between the army and air force as well as the same army corps was not properly communicated. At the same time, it was not disclosed who would be held responsible for the incident and how. In the midst of this, it was confirmed that the National Intelligence Service and the Armed Forces Counterintelligence Command had entered into a security investigation under the direction of Defense Minister Lee Jong-seop to ask who leaked the fact that the P73 no-fly zone had been violated to the media. In other words, rather than taking necessary measures, they are trying to find out the path through which the information was leaked to the media.Unable to connect the 1st corps with the defense command system for air defense, 1st corps → UAV-related notification by ‘telephone’ to the construction companyProvided by the National Assembly Defense CommitteeAccording to the inspection results explained to reporters and the National Assembly National Defense Committee by the Combat Readiness Inspection Office of the Joint Chiefs of Staff on the 26th, the drone was first spotted by the 1st Army Corps’ local air defense radar at 10:19 am at the time of the incident. At around 10:25, the corps operative judged this to be a ‘special track’ and went into pursuit. This fact was reported to Ground Operations Commander Jeon Dong-jin at 11:05, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Kim Seung-gyeom at 11:35, Defense Minister Lee Jong-seop at 11:50, and President Yoon Seok-yeol at 12:12.At around 10:50, while the reports were being made sequentially, the drone invaded the outer edge of the P73 no-fly zone, which was set at a radius of 2 nautical miles (3.7 km) from the Yongsan Presidential Office. However, the 1st Air Defense Brigade, who did not know anything about the operation, identified an unidentified track with radar at around 10:50, and as a result of cross-checking the records of its own detection equipment such as the thermal wound monitoring device (TOD) of subordinate units, it was concluded that it was an unmanned aerial vehicle invasion. got off At 10:38 and 11:14, there were traces of the tracks in question detected at the air defense positions under Subangsa twice.At 11:27, the commander went into an operation to respond to the drone on his own, and in the process of reporting this to the Joint Chiefs of Staff, he found out that the Joint Chiefs of Staff, Jijaksa, and the 1st Corps were already conducting the operation without them. When the Army conducts air defense operations at low altitudes, corps-level units are connected through the air defense command, control and warning system (C2A). the real problem C2A was not linked between the 1st corps and the guardsis an absurd fact.The Joint Chiefs of Staff explained, “It was not linked with the adjacent corps due to security-related problems,” and said, “There was a shortage, and it is currently linked through military lines while taking follow-up measures.”yunhap newsIt wasn’t just this. At around 10:34 am, the 1st Corps realized that a strange wake had been detected on the local air defense radar. by phone It was forwarded to the Air Force Operations Command. In this process, a high-speed situation propagation system or a high-speed command post, etc. The command and control system intended for use in emergencies was not used.An official from the Joint Chiefs of Staff said, “At the time, the staff at the Combat Information Control Center (CCC) of the 1st Corps made the initial judgment on the situation not from the emergency list, but from the occasional report list, so no high-speed command post or high-speed situation propagation system was used.” This was because the wake was north of the Military Demarcation Line (MDL),” he explained.The official said, “If it is presumed to be an unmanned aerial vehicle, it is prescribed to evaluate it as an emergency situation list and use the high-speed situation propagation system. Related things were not properly evaluated on site and there were deficiencies,” he added, “but the system was not broken.”The operator who received the call instructed the Central Air Control and Control Center (MCRC) to check whether there was any tracking, and at 11:39, a KA-1 light attack aircraft from the 8th Fighter Wing of the Air Force scrambled and crashed. The operator diverted another KA-1 that was on a training flight to track the track in question.Even in the midst of this, the drone in question was not detected by the MCRC radar. This is because the air force’s radar is mainly used for defense against aircraft and missiles, so its performance and detection range are different from those of the army’s radar. In any case, the Air Force spent valuable time detecting and identifying it for about an hour, and at 11:46, the aircraft readiness ‘hedgehog’ was issued.And it was only around 12:00 pm after the drone was detected and identified by the air force’s radar that the drone readiness posture ‘Crane’ was issued. This is because it was a system that could not issue a crane without a separate judgment from the Air Force, since the commanding officer of the air force had the authority to issue the crane.An official from the Joint Chiefs of Staff said, “The local air defense radar, which detects even objects with a low radar cross section (RCS) value, captures an average of 2,000 tracks a day, including flocks of birds, and automatically sharing them in real time creates a problem.” So, it is a system that is manually shared only for suspicious tracks, and follow-up measures are being carried out at the military level.”While our military was confused like this, the North Korean drone crossed the MDL and returned to North Korea around 1:20 pm. After 20 minutes, it disappeared from our military’s radar.The military leadership’s blame is growing, but… “Comprehensive report and conclusion without unfair people”Defense Minister Lee Jong-seop (right) answers questions from members of the National Assembly at the National Assembly in Yeouido, Seoul on the morning of the 26th at a general meeting of the National Defense Commission held to report on pending issues related to North Korean drones infiltrating South Korean airspace. On the left is Kim Seung-gyeom, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. yunhap newsHowever, the military authorities did not disclose who will be held accountable for the incident.It is said that there is already an air current within the presidential office and the military that censure should not be made right now with the logic that ‘censure of military leaders benefits the enemy’. However, even if it is not until ‘resignation’, there is no way to avoid censure, so it is expected that this will be reflected in general personnel appointments expected around May this year.An official from the Joint Chiefs of Staff explained, “The culprits are specified in the report for each discharge from working-level to high-ranking positions.” By ‘practice officer’, it is presumed that a field officer in the command and control room is obliged to spread the facts related to the 1st corps local air defense radar that first captured the drone in question.Defense Minister Lee Jong-seop said at the National Assembly’s National Defense Committee held on the 26th, “I will really take responsibility for the wrong parts based on the facts inspected, and in the process, (the party)’s thoughts differ from what I judged at the time and what I saw in the war readiness inspection room.” “There can be,” he explained, “because there shouldn’t be any unfair people, I’ll look at it comprehensively and make a final conclusion.”Minister Lee said, “It’s difficult to say exactly, but it won’t take long,” but when Democratic Party lawmaker Yoon Hu-deok asked, “How do you think a minister should take responsibility?” I’ll think about whether it’s for you.”yunhap newsIn the case of the past, in the case of the’North Korean defectors to North Korea’ that occurred in Ganghwa Island in July…