Which athletes will collect the most money in 2022? The sports industry trade magazine “Sportico” sheds light on the darkness, now published its annual list of the 100 highest paid athletes of the year!
However, football superstars Lionel Messi (34) or Cristiano Ronaldo (37) are not at the top, but …
… LeBron James (37)! The NBA star is at the top of the list with the equivalent of 122 million euros in salaries and advertising revenue. He ousted Messi (€117m) and Ronaldo ($110m) to second and third place respectively.
The “Sportico” top 100 list brings together athletes from ten sports. In total, they earn around 4.3 billion euros – an increase of six percent compared to last year’s list.
Both Roger Federer (€82m) and Tiger Woods (€70m) made it into the top 10 despite being sidelined by injuries for long periods in the last 12 months.
Tennis star Naomi Osaka is currently the highest paid female athlete with the equivalent of 51 million euros. This sum consists almost exclusively of advertising revenue, since the Japanese did not play for long stretches in 2021.
Die Top 10
- LeBron James (Basketball): 122 million Euros
- Lionel Messi (football): €117m
- Cristiano Ronaldo (Fußball): 110 million Euros
- Neymar (football): €99m
- Canelo Alvarez (Boxen): 85 million Euros
- Stephen Curry (Basketball): 83 Mio. Euro
- Kevin Durant (Basketball): 82 Mio. Euro
- Roger Federer (Tennis): 82 Mio. Euro
- James Harden (Basketball): 73 Mio. Euro
- Tiger Woods (Golf): 70 million Euros
The complete “Sportico” list is here to see
The internationally renowned “Forbes” magazine has now published another ranking. According to this ranking, Messi is at the top of the top earners (€123m). LeBron James follows in second place (116 million euros) and Ronaldo in 3rd place (110 million euros).