Axed Broncos coach Anthony Seibold believes he was unfairly criticised by legends of the proud club.
Ever since the Broncos copped the biggest trashing in the club’s history in Round 4, freshly Seibold has copped criticism from all angles. Some of the most brutal comments came from Broncos old boys.
Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 NRL Telstra Premiership. Every game of every round Live & On-Demand with no-ad breaks during play. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
“Of course they should,” Seibold told The Sydney Morning Herald when asked if the old boys should show more respect.
“I can’t control the agendas behind the scenes. But do you hear any old boys from other clubs criticise as often, or as much, or as loud? Of course, you don’t.”
Legends Brisbane Broncos dynasty did not miss when they took shots at Seibold earlier this season.
“The players are like Brown’s cows,” Steve Renouf told AAP in June.
“They don’t have any idea of what is going on. They look lost. Something has to change and you would think that starts with the coach.”
MORE NRL NEWS
BELMORE BOUND: Bulldogs announce Green signing days after veteran ruptured ACL
‘NOT GIVING UP’: Storm boss ‘will fight’ to keep Grant and both Smiths
While Glenn Lazarus lumped all of the blame on Seibold after the Broncos were embarrassed in a 58-nil slaughtering by the Roosters.
“They (players) looked very unenthused and they looked like deer in the headlights. I blame the coach for that there’s nowhere else to look other than the coach and his staff there. They’re just not up to it,” he told Foxsports.com.au in June.
“You can have all the academic qualifications in the world but that can only get you so far. To this day I’m bewildered and I just don’t understand why they would not have put Kevvie Walters in as the head coach.”
After weeks of speculation, Seibold confirmed on Wednesday that he would part ways with the cub immediately.
He leaves two seasons into a five-year deal after being recruited to replace Wayne Bennett.
MORE NRL NEWS
STARTS NOW: Seibold has left the building. Here are five things the Broncos must fix
‘YOU’VE JUST GOT TO HANDLE IT’: Bennett responds to Seibold quitting Broncos
‘ENORMOUS SACRIFICES’: Seibold reveals ‘final straw’ in Broncos exit
‘WON’T DEATH-RIDE THE BRONCOS’: Seibold’s thinly-veiled parting shot at Bennett
Since Seibold walked through the door at Red Hill it’s fair to say he hasn’t been as accepted by the old boys as previous coaches.
“Did I think it would be like this? No, I didn’t,” Seibold said.
“But I didn’t realise there would be so many agendas at play. If we had won more footy games, we would’ve controlled the narrative to some degree, but it’s been there before I even walked through the door. People will say I’m whinging … Have I been treated fairly? Probably not. But that’s to discuss at another time.
“That’s no excuse for the scoreboard. We haven’t won games. That’s why I put my hand up.
“As far as that campaign, the hysteria around myself, people have told me that has turned. People must be sick of reading about me. I didn’t start coaching for this.”
Away from the footy field Seibold has had to deal with some personal battles after vile rumours surfaced on social media.
He confirmed to the Herald that he has the names of those responsible for the rumours and will pursue charges.
“I’m looking for criminal charges,” he said.
“I will be making a complaint to police and we will see who we can charge. My solicitor believes he’s got grounds to get people charged. So I’m not letting up on that.”
‘NOT A DICTATORSHIP’: CEO dodges responsibility for Broncos’ sad decline
BENNETT: Shock talks to end 17-year Origin hiatus and it all hinges on the Broncos gig
BRONCOS DENY CAP BREACH: Pangai Jr’s $100k gripe over third-party payments
Seibold will back away from the spotlight now and regather his thoughts in the most humble surroundings.
“A mate of mine owns a property up in Central Queensland so I am going up there with another friend from school and pretend to be a farmer for a week away from the city,” he said on Wednesday.
“I said ‘work me hard because I want to earn my beer in the afternoon’ so we will see what he comes up with.
“I’ll think about what is next, but first and foremost I will get away and put a cowboy hat on and go back to being someone from Central Queensland.”
He’s cautious of future opportunities after such a tumultuous time at the Broncos but is confident he will get back on the horse.
“I’m concerned because I’ve attracted so much attention during my time at the Broncos,” he said.
“I’m sure it will die now. I back my ability. It hasn’t worked here. But it doesn’t mean it won’t work anywhere else.”