This is undoubtedly the most anticipated event of this spring: in London, in front of the press and a thousand fans, OnePlus has just formalized its new flagship, christened OnePlus 6. Quite simply.
Between rumors and official communication, many of the technical features of the device were no longer a secret. Fortunately, OnePlus kept a few things in his sleeve.
The 19: 9 format with (or without) notch is confirmed
– The OnePlus 6 on the left is almost as compact as the OnePlus 5 on the right. First novelty, while maintaining a housing almost as compact and light as that of its predecessor the 5T , the OnePlus 6 sports a significantly larger screen: 6.28 inches and Full HD + resolution (2280 x 1080 dots) for a comfortable resolution that remains 402 dots per inch.
– The notch of the OnePlus 6 can be hidden. Always technology Amoled, the slab adopts a 19: 9 format in length … with notch. But as with Huawei and its P20, it is possible to hide it from the display settings. Data such as time, network quality, battery, etc. will then appear in a black banner, a kind of secondary display located above the screen.
Photo: quality first and foremost
– Change of orientation for the double photo module of the OnePlus 6 on the left. If the double photo module, still present, is now centered and adopts a vertical position, OnePlus has not played the card of the bidding in the pixels: the sensors remain 16 and 20 megapixels, with an opening that remains at f / 1.7 for both purposes. However, the brand promises a substantial improvement in photo quality, especially in low light, The main camera (16 Mpix) has photosites 19% larger (1.22 micron per pixel) for better sensitivity to light and a optical stabilization.
– The OnePlus 6 has on the back of a double photo module with flash and a fingerprint sensor. The portrait mode offered by the main device will be available on the 16 Mpix sensor present on the front for the realization of selfies and this, through a subsequent update. Finally, the OnePlus films up to 4K at 60 frames per second, has a Super Slow Motion mode (480 fps) and even a video editor built into the camera.
Design: after metal, glass
For the first time, OnePlus is trying the glass for the back of his flagship, successfully. Benefiting from Corning Gorilla Glass 5 front and back protection, the OnePlus 6 is designed to withstand the vagaries of life, including unexpected diving in the water. The brand does not display IP68 certification but promises increased resistance. But do not go swimming with your smartphone!
– On the left, the OnePlus 6 goes to the glass (Mirror Black version) while the OnePlus 5T has a metal back. The 6 is declined in 3 textures. The Mirror Black offers a brilliant black, as its name suggests, with a rather sophisticated ceramic effect. It has the disadvantage of marking a little more at the level of fingerprints but less – it seems at first sight – that a Galaxy S9 . The Midnight Black offers, for its part, a matte finish with reflections, reminiscent of metal. The Silk White finally, consisting of 6 layers, will offer, from the month of June, a pearly and elegant texture, soft under the fingers.
Oxygen OS is still evolving
Discovery on the OnePlus 5T, facial recognition will of course be part of the new version of Oxygen OS based on Android 8.1. To this is added a gestural navigation, a little way iPhone X , to be able (if one prefers) to do without the usual bar of navigation. A game mode will also be present. It will block notifications that may disrupt a game session and prevent apps running in the background from monopolizing the smartphone’s resources.
– Good news, the OnePlus 6 (above) retains as the OnePlus 5T a jack. Power under the hood
Equipped with one of the most recent and powerful processors of the moment, the Snapdragon 845 from Qualcomm, the OnePlus 6 should stay in the line of its predecessors and pull out of the game in terms of performance. Especially since the device will be delivered in 6 or 8 GB of RAM, a quantity to be comfortable in any circumstance, including with the most demanding applications in resources. For its part, the battery displays, like the one in the OnePlus 5T, a capacity of 3300 mAh.
But the best surprise we keep OnePlus for the end is the price of its new flagship that only increases 20 euros. A very moderate rise which should be inspired by big brands like Samsung and Apple!
The 64 GB / 6 GB version of OnePlus 6 will be sold 519 euros (yes, the fateful bar of 500 euros is unfortunately passed!) While the 128 GB / 8 GB version will increase to 569 euros. This year, the greediest can even crack – and for the first time – for a 256 GB / 8 GB edition (available only in Midnight Black) for the price of 619 euros.
The OnePlus will be previewed in the concept store we located in Paris from May 21st, then on the site of OnePlus from May 22nd.
>>> Tests, features, duels, prices … All info on the OnePlus 6 are on our special page