From Rania El Gamal DUBAI, June 8 (Reuters) – OPEC is likely to reject Iran’s request to discuss US sanctions on Tehran at a meeting this month, an informed source told Reuters. Iran’s OPEC governor, Hossein Kazempour Ardebili, has asked the chairman of OPEC’s board of governors to include a debate on sanctions on the agenda for the June 22 talks, according to a copy of a June 2 speech by Kadhimpur. Last month, Iran’s oil minister, Begin Zengane, asked OPEC to support the new US sanctions and hinted at a row in views between Tehran and Saudi Arabia over the need to increase world oil supplies.
“I would like to request support from OPEC under Article II of the WTO Statute, which emphasizes the protection of the interests of member states individually and collectively,” Zanganeh wrote in a letter to his UAE counterpart, who heads OPEC in 2018 last month. Last month, US President Donald Trump pulled out of the global nuclear deal with Iran, announcing the “highest level” of sanctions against the OPEC member. Iran is the third largest producer of the Organization of the Petroleum Exporting Countries after Saudi Arabia and Iraq.
Opec oil ministers are due to meet at FAO headquarters in Vienna to discuss production policy. Kazempour, citing Zangane’s speech, called on the council to include in the June talks an agenda item entitled “Support for the OPEC Ministerial Conference of Member States Subject to Illegal, Unilateral and Transboundary Sanctions.” Ahmed al-Kaabi, governor of the UAE at OPEC, asked for advice from a legal adviser after receiving Kazem Bauer’s request, the source said. He added that the Chancellor’s response to the Iranian request was negative on the grounds that the ministerial agenda can not be amended after it is completed. Earlier on Friday, Iran criticized the United States’ demand that Saudi Arabia pump more oil to cover any drop in Iranian exports and predicted OPEC would not accept it. (Prepared by Moataz Mohammed for the Arabic edition – edited by Ahmed Elhamy)