New Delhi / Ahmedabad:
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has unveiled the Statue of Unity, built as a tribute to freedom movement icon Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel on his 143rd birth anniversary today. Built at a cost of Rs. 2,989 crore, the statue depicts Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, India's first home minister, wearing a traditional dhoti and shawl, towering over the Narmada River. Iron was collected from all over the country for the statue of Sardar Patel, also known as the Iron Man of India. China's Spring Temple Buddha, currently the world's tallest statue, is 177 feet taller than the world's tallest statue at 182 meters.
The statue has been designed by Padma Bhushan-winning sculptor Ram V Sutar and has been built by Larsen and Toubro and the state-run Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd. It took about 250 engineers and 3,400 laborers to construct the statue in 33 months.
200 visitors at a time. The statue will have a viewing gallery at the height of 193 meters. This gallery, at 153 meters height, will offer a view of the Sardar Sarovar Dam, its reservoir, and the Satpura and Vindhya mountain ranges
Here are the LIVE updates on Sardar Vallabhbhai's Patel's Statue of Unity:
- Today is a historic day for India … I want to start by congratulating all indians including those settled abroad.
- It is this feeling of being united, of togetherness, that has kept India going for thousands of years.
- I thank all those who came forward and took part in the 'Run for Unity' today.
PM Modi has arrived for inauguration. Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, BJP President Amit Shah are also present.
Earlier today, Minister of Rajnath Singh and Rajyavardhan Rathore Rajyavardhan Rathore, Minister of Youth Affairs Rajyavardhan Rathore flagged off the 'Run for Unity' in the national capital.
Nearly 12,000 people are said to be taking part in the marathon in New Delhi, including 3,000 school children, 300 ex-servicemen and a number of senior citizens, despite the thick haze that has engulfed the region.
L Eswar Rao, a miniature artist from Bhubaneswar's Jatni, made a miniature model of the Statue of Unity. He said it took three days to make it.
- At 597 feet or 182 meters, the Statue of Unity wants to be the world's tallest statue. It is 177 feet higher than China's Spring Temple Buddha, which is the tallest statue till now, and the statue of Christ the Redeemer in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
- This statue is built on an island in the Narmada, the fifth longest river in the Indian subcontinent, which runs in a rift valley between the Vindhya and Satpura ranges. The region is famous for its hardwood forests and sanctuaries.
- The Statue of Unity was built at an estimated cost of Rs. 2,989 crore.
- It was designed by Padma Bhushan-winning sculptor Ram V Sutar and built by Larsen and Toubro and the state-run Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd (SSNNL).
- It is located about 3.5 km south of the Sardar Sarovar Dam, by the second largest concrete gravity dam (by volume) in the world.
- Visitors want to visit the Sardar Sarovar Dam and its 256 km long reservoir, the beautiful Vindhya and Satpura mountain ranges, and the 12 km long Garudeshwar reservoir, from an astounding height of around 500 feet.
- It has the longest canal network in the world and includes the Narmada Main Canal, around 2500 km of branch canals, 5,500 km of distributaries, and other associated channels.
- The Statue of Unity wants to include a state-of-the-art museum that will include audio-visual exhibits depicting the life and times of the great Indian leader and statesman, Sardar Vallabhbai Patel.
- The statue wants to be 3.5km away, to avoid vehicular traffic and pollution.
- The statue has been designed by Padma Bhushan-winning sculptor Ram V Sutar and has been built by Larsen and Toubro and the state-run Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd. It took about 250 engineers and 3,400 laborers to construct the statue in 33 months.
Birth: October 31, 1875
Birth Place: Nadiad town, Gujarat
Early life spent in: Karamsad, Petlad and Nadiad.
Parents: Father Jhaverbhai, a farmer, and mother Laad Bai, a simple lady
Wife: Jhaverba, who passed away at a very early age
Children: Daughter Maniben (Born in 1903); Son Dahyabhai (Born in 1905)
Death: December 15, 1950
"It's only right that we remember it today," Defense Minister Nirmala Sitharaman quoted as saying ANI at Run for Unity event in Tamil Nadu's Chennai.
Visuals from near the Statue of Unity. (ANI)
PM Modi has reached Kevadiya to inaugurate the Statue of Unity.
According to Gujarat government officials, the Unveiling of the Statue of the Unity event has been scheduled on the scale of the Republic Day celebrations. According to information Prime Minister Modi and other leaders wants to talk about the Narmada Into an Anthem, and Ganesh mantra, Narmada mantra and Swasti vanchan wants to be chanted during the event.
Sardar Patel at the base of the statue and the two high-speed lifts will take you to the viewers' gallery, from where they can see beyond the Narmada Dam.
Once completed, around 15,000 tourists are expected to visit the statue every day, officials said.
The museum will have 40,000 documents, 2,000 photographs and a research center dedicated to Sardar Patel's life.
- Kheda Satyagraha and Bardoli Satyagrah, both of them times the British bowed down
- Elected as Ahmedabad's municipal president in 1924 and 1928
- Elected President of the Indian National Congress in 1931
- Independent India's First Deputy Prime Ministers and Home Ministers and IB Ministers
- The Architect of United India post independence
- Posthumously, conferred with Bharat Ratna in 1991
The Gujarat Congress Tuesday has dubbed the event as a "BJP program". The main opposition party said none of its leaders want to take part in the statue's dedication ceremony.
Gujarat Congress said it has organized its own event to mark the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel.
We want to have a lecture program, which will be delivered by former Bhavnagar University vice chancellor Vidyut Joshi.
देश को एकत्र में पिरोने वाले लौह पुरुष सरदार वल्लभभाई पटेल को उनकी प प कोटि कोटि कोटि.
Sardar Patel, the stalwart who unified India and served the nation tirelessly, on his Jayanti.
– Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) October 31, 2018
A viewing gallery has been created inside the statue to enable tourists to have a view of the mountain and nearby mountain ranges.
A 17-km long Valley of Flowers, a tent city for tourists near the statue and a museum dedicated to the life and times of Patel are some of the major attractions near the Statue of Unity.
Local villagers have threatened to protest over the inauguration of the statue. On Monday, the headmen of 22 villages near the Sardar Sarovar Dam wrote an open letter to PM Modi stating that villagers would not welcome him at the inauguration.
"These forests, rivers, waterfalls, land and agriculture support us for generations." We feel so, "the letter, having common content and signed by sarpanchas of 22 villages, stated.
They are still looking at people on the streets of the city.
Built in less than five years, the Statue of Unity is the world's tallest, grandest and giant statue. It is a tribute to Sardar Patel as he united all diverse 562 princely states to build a great Republic of India.
A 30 feet tall replica of the Statue of Unity was inaugurated at Baben village in Bardoli, Gujarat in 2015.
The statue is sponsored by Sardar Patel towards the country in the favor of the Nehru-Gandhi family.
The Prime Minister wants to unveil the Statue of Unity on the birth anniversary of Sardar Patel at Sadhu Bet, near Narmada Dam.