Pride Day, between conquests and new challenges

A few days after the enactment of the Transvestite-Trans Labor Quota Law, Argentina is going through a Pride Day as one of the countries at the forefront in the conquest of rights for the LGBTIQ + collective. However, with more than 150 people killed by hate crimes during 2020 and with high levels of exclusion, the challenges are still many and require deepening greater policies for the community.

The sanction of Law 27,636 Lohana Berkins-Diana Sacayán, once again placed Argentina as a pioneer country in recognizing this type of rights in the region. The regulation sanctioned on June 24 aims at the labor inclusion of transvestites, transsexuals and transgenders, whether or not they have made the registration change according to the Gender Identity Law, and establishes a quota of 1 percent in the national State in its three powers, the public ministries, the decentralized or autarkic organizations, the non-state public entities and the companies and companies of the State, in all the contracting modalities.

This conquest is the product of a long struggle by the transvestite and trans community in Argentina that has been demanding higher levels of inclusion for years, in a context of systematic exclusion. It is worth noting that according to a study carried out by INADI and INDEC, the average lifespan of trans people is very low: between 35.5 and 41 years. The survey involved 209 people; 73 of them (35 percent) stated that they dropped out of school because they were discriminated against; 20 percent declared that they do not carry out any activity for which they obtain money; the remaining 80 percent said they were prostitutes or had informal jobs. The police appeared as the institution considered to be the cause of serious acts of discrimination and violence, 83 percent for trans women and 40 percent for trans men.

In a context where violence against trans and transvestite people is the order of the day, with the disappearance of Tehuel de la Torre and the transvesticide of Soraya as examples, the sanction of the regulations with which it is expected to incorporate at least 2,500 people to work is one more step on the road to the conquest of rights for the community, which already under popular governments managed to achieve equal marriage, the Gender Identity Law, Comprehensive Sex Education, the Assisted Fertilization Law, than the The right to termination of pregnancy is for all pregnant persons and the aforementioned quota. However, it is necessary to deepen this path and the challenges are still many.

It is worth noting that in Argentina, in 2020 there were 152 hate crimes against the LGTBQ + collective, of which 57 percent were murders or suicides according to the National Observatory of LGBT Hate Crimes. Likewise, according to a survey carried out by UNICEF, among young people the LGBTQ + population is the most attacked in social networks.

On the one hand, it is necessary to ensure the real implementation of the regulations already passed. For example, in the case of ESI, according to the latest available data from the Aprender 2019 assessment, four out of ten students believe it is necessary to access more information. Meanwhile, in schools of a religious nature, the implementation of this law is conditioned or not directly taught.

On the other hand, it is essential to build policies that guarantee access to health, education, work and housing, points that were taken up by the Ministry of Women, Gender and Sexual Diversity with policies such as the Accompany Program, the Centers of Attention for Women and Lgbt +, the Program to Strengthen Access to Rights for Transvestites, Transsexuals and Transgender people, the Registry of Territorial Promoters in Gender and Diversity at the Community Level and the National Plan for Equality in Diversity 2021-2023. The latter seeks “to intervene in a strategic and comprehensive manner in order to overcome structural gender inequalities, the result of a process of collective construction and coordination.”

Likewise, the parliamentary agenda still has several pending issues, such as the Integral Trans-Travesti Law, which seeks to ensure the “full and equal exercise of their rights and freedoms” and establishes a reparatory pension for trans transvestites, and the project comprehensive response to HIV, among others.