The survey was carried out by the Institute of Technology of the Universidad Argentina de la Empresa (UADE) with the aim of knowing the eating and physical activity habits during isolation.
The surveys were concentrated in the city of Buenos Aires and Greater Buenos Aires and were divided into two periods: 1,063 responses between March 31 and April 9, during the first stage of the quarantine, and 1,223 between April 13 and 10th May.
The study noted that more than 80 percent of the people surveyed left their homes at least once, with an increase of 15 to 22 percent in departures as “a way to clear up.”
As for eating habits, the habit of “eat out of boredom” and it even doubled from one stage to the other, while most made “food preparations” that they did not usually do.
In turn, mate is the preferred infusion and more than half of those who consume it share it with the people they live with during quarantine.
On the other hand, 60 percent of the people consulted had the habit of engaging in physical activity prior to isolation, and only a little more than half continued after the national government measure, while a drop of 5 percent was registered. one period to the other.
Lastly, the report argued that there is an increase in the use of technology to share lunches or dinners with family and friends virtually, due to the impossibility of doing it in person.
Diego Sivori, Bachelor of Nutrition and Director of the Bachelor of Nutrition at UADE, Gabriel Santangelo, Pediatrician and Master in Public Health and Ayelén Borg, a graduate in Nutrition and a university professor, offered a series of recommendations:
- I kept staying home! Avoid or limit your shopping outings. It is key that we all decrease our outings, especially people over 60 years old.
- Take advantage of home delivery and virtual purchase: this option can replace an output. It is important to identify if in the neighborhood businesses that we usually buy has this service that can help us keep ourselves supplied, avoiding unnecessary exits. Many businesses do not have web pages, but take orders by phone or messages.
- Plan your diet: In this way you can make a good purchase with everything you will need for several days and thus avoid frequent departures. At the same time, planning is important to prevent food from getting ugly and from having to be thrown away.
- Do not stop sanitizing your purchases: When returning from the street or when receiving merchandise, it is important to sanitize everything that enters the home. It is important to sanitize bags, trays and different packages such as canned goods, bottles, etc. and the countertops on which they have supported things.
- Take advantage of the freezer! Many vegetables can be stored in the freezer and thus increase their shelf life, preventing us from having to go out and buy fresh food all the time.
- You are going to eat out of boredom, make it healthy. It is important to also plan this snack for boredom, small servings can help us eat healthy: fruits already peeled in the refrigerator, nuts, pieces of cooked and cut meat, raw vegetables such as cherry tomatoes, celery, carrots can help us make these snacks .
- Take advantage of free time to make homemade meals and try new recipes. A large majority highlighted that they have cooked preparations that they did not usually do as a free time activity.
- I kept choosing water! Hydrating well is essential in this period and doing it with water is always the best option. If you went to the greengrocery, don’t forget to buy oranges, grapefruit and / or tangerines with which you can make the best natural juice. A classic lemonade will be a very good base to combine with honey, mint, ginger or rosemary.
- This is not the time to share the mate! This infusion is still our favorite but today we must create a new habit, a mate for each one, let’s share the moment and the water, but each one with his mate.
- It is important to take care of the economy of your food, many people have detected a higher expenditure on food.
- Don’t stop moving! We detect that people who do physical activity look for a way to continue that activity at home. We recommend looking for different ways to move around your house.